WilliamG
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • FM Application:11
  • Platform:Mac OS X Leopard
  • Skill Level:Novice
  • Time Online: 3h 33m 15s

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:18 PM

Hello; I'm new here but not to Filemaker. I started using FM with the first version when Nashoba owned it. My first problem, and this has existed since version 5, is that the serial number will not advance. I use this feature for invoicing (thank God I am the only employee) and starting with version 5 it became erratic and finally I had to increment it manually. I have been through exporting the data and rebuilding the file and importing the data again and no luck. I just don't know why it doesn't work and no one else seems to either. I contacted Filemaker back when it was Claris, and you could talk to someone without mortgaging your house, and they tried but couln't help either. I was really hopeful that when I installed 8.5 my problem might go away. Anyone have a clue? I have searched everywhere for an answer. Thanks, Bill

#2 Lee Smith  Like v13 layout tools

Lee Smith
  • Staff
  • 10,004 posts
  • FM Application:13 Advance
  • FMGo:iPhone / iPod Touch
  • Platform:Mac OS X Mavericks
  • Skill Level:Expert
  • Membership:TechNet
  • Time Online: 217d 5h 19m 59s

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:42 PM

Hi William, welcome to the Forum.

Since you seem to know how it should work, why don't you attache a copy of your file so we can check it out for you.

To attach a file, just make a reply to this Thread, and use the
File Attachments: Manage files
below.

Remove any confidential information by either saving a Clone, no records, or copy and delete the confidential information.
Zip the File
and then attach it.

Lee

#3 WilliamG  newbie

WilliamG
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:22 PM

Thank you Lee for the response, sorry for the delay but I think this is what you asked for. The file is attached, Bill.

Attached Files

#4 The Shadow  veteran

The Shadow
  • Members
  • 773 posts
  • FM Application:10 Advance
  • Time Online: 36m 10s

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:30 PM

The Invoice# seems to update for me when a new record is created, was that the field causing you trouble? Did you try to reproduce the problem in the empty file you attached?
The Shadow Knows...

#5 WilliamG  newbie

WilliamG
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:37 AM

Yes that is the correct field, yes I did try and it does but the problem is when I import from "Quotes". Quotes is a layout that I use for telephone parts price requests. Some customers prepay their orders so the quote stays open until I receive payment. If after a set period of time the customer does not send in a payment then the quote is deleted. When a payment is received the quote is imported into invoices and a new number is supposed to be generated. The problem is the number never changes it just assigns the same number over and over, although I have caught it once in awhile advancing to the next number but very erratically. Thanks, Bill

#6 The Shadow  veteran

The Shadow
  • Members
  • 773 posts
  • FM Application:10 Advance
  • Time Online: 36m 10s

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:54 PM

Well, your script for importing replaces the serial numbers for the imported records as its last step with new ones, could that be the cause of your troubles?
The Shadow Knows...

#7 WilliamG  newbie

WilliamG
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for the reply, I don't think so because the record(s) have no number when imported and the script is set to start at the last number incremented. I am just wondering if I should set it up to look at the last invoice number in the actual records rather than keep track of it in the script.

FMForum Advertisers