•  

UPGRADE DEADLINE - SEPTEMBER 26, 2014!
FileMaker Inc. has a deadline for users of version 10,11, 12 as Individual box or volume licenses (with expired maintenance).
If you don't renew your maintenance and upgrade to FMP 13 you will no longer be eligible to upgrade, at the discount pricing.

Volume Licensing upgrade pricing for FileMaker Pro 13, FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced and FileMaker Server 13 will be discontinued.
Individual upgrade pricing for FileMaker Pro 13 and FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced will increase after September 26, 2014.
As of 27-September-2014, FileMaker 10 products will no longer be available for purchase or support.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13865

Photo

'save records as pdf' in runtime doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tomp  journeyman

tomp
  • Members
  • 293 posts
  • FM Application:11 Advance
  • Platform:Cross Platform
  • Skill Level:Intermediate
  • Time Online: 22h 53m 32s

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:57 AM

As my last 2 topics indicated, I've been struggling with creating a pdf file, inserting it for display on a layout, and then attaching it to a 'send mail' script step.

After getting it all to work in my scripts, I created the runtime and sent to my beta site.

In the runtime on both MACs and PCs, the 'save pdf' script step does not work - 'Save records as pdf has been canceled'.....

What's different in the runtime that causes this failure? What can be done about it, if anything (I hope!).

TIA

#2 efen  master

efen
  • Members
  • 539 posts
  • FM Application:8.5 Advance
  • Time Online: 2h 33m 28s

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:37 AM

Runtimes cannot use the export PDF function -- the functionality is not included because of licensing issues with Adobe.

#3 tomp  journeyman

tomp
  • Members
  • 293 posts
  • Time Online: 22h 53m 32s

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:30 AM

I was afraid of that. It would be helpful if FM help would mention that. I didn't see anything like that in there.

Thanks

#4 comment  consultant

comment
  • Members
  • 24,191 posts
  • Time Online: 329d 4h 59m

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:19 PM

From Help > Contents > Using FileMaker Pro Advanced tools > About creating runtime solutions (FileMaker Pro Advanced):

"FileMaker Pro Advanced features are stripped from runtime applications. None of the commands on the File menu > Manage submenu are available in the runtime application. Runtime applications cannot be shared over a network and do not include the ability to Save/Send Records as Adobe PDF files. Using ODBC data sources in the relationships graph is not supported in runtime applications. For a feature comparison of the runtime application with FileMaker Pro, see the FileMaker Pro Advanced Development Guide."

#5 Leather Knight  journeyman

Leather Knight
  • Members
  • 259 posts
  • FM Application:10 Advance
  • :

Posted 26 November 2008 - 04:20 AM

However...there is a work-around;)

Install a free pdf program that will allow creation of pdf's and when printing choose print to pdf. That is what I recommend to my clients. Easy, fast and no more headaches...
Regards,
Kevin G. Timberlake
Marvel Illusions

#6 artvault  apprentice

artvault
  • Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland
  • Certification:8, 10
  • Membership:TechNet, FileMaker Business Alliance
  • Time Online: 9h 31m 49s

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:07 AM

However...there is a work-around;)

Install a free pdf program that will allow creation of pdf's and when printing choose print to pdf. That is what I recommend to my clients. Easy, fast and no more headaches...

I'm in the need of such solution - what program were you referring to?

#7 RHernandez  newbie

RHernandez
  • Newbies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:11 PM

I'm in the need of such solution - what program were you referring to?

I use Primo PDF, www.primopdf.com/ for windows (don't need it for Macs).
It's free and it works.

FMForum Advertisers