Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

'save records as pdf' in runtime doesn't work

7 posts in this topic

Posted

As my last 2 topics indicated, I've been struggling with creating a pdf file, inserting it for display on a layout, and then attaching it to a 'send mail' script step.

After getting it all to work in my scripts, I created the runtime and sent to my beta site.

In the runtime on both MACs and PCs, the 'save pdf' script step does not work - 'Save records as pdf has been canceled'.....

What's different in the runtime that causes this failure? What can be done about it, if anything (I hope!).

TIA

Posted

Runtimes cannot use the export PDF function -- the functionality is not included because of licensing issues with Adobe.

Posted

I was afraid of that. It would be helpful if FM help would mention that. I didn't see anything like that in there.

Thanks

Posted

From Help > Contents > Using FileMaker Pro Advanced tools > About creating runtime solutions (FileMaker Pro Advanced):

"FileMaker Pro Advanced features are stripped from runtime applications. None of the commands on the File menu > Manage submenu are available in the runtime application. Runtime applications cannot be shared over a network and do not include the ability to Save/Send Records as Adobe PDF files. Using ODBC data sources in the relationships graph is not supported in runtime applications. For a feature comparison of the runtime application with FileMaker Pro, see the FileMaker Pro Advanced Development Guide."

Posted

However...there is a work-around;)

Install a free pdf program that will allow creation of pdf's and when printing choose print to pdf. That is what I recommend to my clients. Easy, fast and no more headaches...

Posted

However...there is a work-around;)

Install a free pdf program that will allow creation of pdf's and when printing choose print to pdf. That is what I recommend to my clients. Easy, fast and no more headaches...

I'm in the need of such solution - what program were you referring to?

Posted

I'm in the need of such solution - what program were you referring to?

I use Primo PDF, www.primopdf.com/ for windows (don't need it for Macs).

It's free and it works.