datalink
  • Members
  • 130 posts
  • FM Application:13 Advance
  • Platform:Mac OS X Mountain Lion
  • Skill Level:Intermediate
  • Time Online: 22h 24m 53s

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:19 PM

We have been approached by a client that would like to deploy iPads in an inventory situation at their facility. Some preliminary tests with iPhones using layouts developed for FM Go suggest that this heavily script driven solution might have speed issues that would be prohibitive. They are running Sever 11 and the proposal is that the iPads would be running on WiFi. We would expect to build Go specific layouts etc. Of course there are lots and lots of variables, but I wonder if folks are finding speeds sufficient for sophisticated solutions.

I'm also wondering what folks have experienced using the camera in conjunction with FM Go for barcode reading.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts folks would like to share.

#2 Vaughan  Mostly Harmless

Vaughan
  • Moderators
  • 10,294 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
  • FMGo:iPhone / iPod Touch, iPad
  • Platform:Cross Platform
  • Skill Level:Expert
  • Certification:8, 9, 10, 11
  • Membership:TechNet
  • Time Online: 4d 9h 48s

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:22 PM

I am about to start a project on iPads myself.

The word so far from those who have already done this is that networking over WiFi is good to great, while over 3G is generally unsatisfactory to poor. This is due to the bandwidth and latency differences. So your choice for WiFi is smart.
Vaughan Bromfield
Sydney, Australia

Please post questions to the Forum, not directly to me. Back-up your files before making changes!

Whenever I hear the term "popular culture" I reach for my Iridium Q-36 Space Modulator.

#3 El_Pablo  old hand

El_Pablo
  • Members
  • 636 posts
  • FM Application:11 Advance
  • Platform:Windows 7
  • Time Online: 1d 18m 10s

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:10 AM

@Vaughan :
Do you know if using a separation model directly on the iPad would be faster?
Nick
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#4 Vaughan  Mostly Harmless

Vaughan
  • Moderators
  • 10,294 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
  • FMGo:iPhone / iPod Touch, iPad
  • Skill Level:Expert
  • Certification:8, 9, 10, 11
  • Time Online: 4d 9h 48s

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:35 PM

No I do not. Remember though that TSM is not about optimising performance. (I'm not a big fan of the separation model anyway.)
Vaughan Bromfield
Sydney, Australia

Please post questions to the Forum, not directly to me. Back-up your files before making changes!

Whenever I hear the term "popular culture" I reach for my Iridium Q-36 Space Modulator.

#5 GC GYM  Apprentice

GC GYM
  • Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia
  • Time Online: 4d 13h 27m 43s

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:16 PM

I run a separation model for clients to access their information from the main file.
I compared opening the file directly on an iPhone Vs opening it back on the server where the main file is, and found opening it on the iPhone to be faster for both WiFi and 3G connections.

The difference was not huge, so it might depend on your file and what you are asking it to do. GTRR might have actually been a bit slower.

Hope that helps.

FMForum Advertisers