Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Some fields will not allow user input

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I am a fairly new to FileMaker Pro 11. I used FileMaker many years ago when it was a flat file database and had no problems with it. Maybe the issues I am having are due to the relational DB, but I don't thinks so. I find that some fields I create in new tables do not allow any input. In the layout mode the magnifying glass icon on the right side of the field box is yellow rather than green. I have spent a lot of time with this and can not find the problem. Could someone give me some pointers on this please?

Thanks,

Posted

Why don't you post a file showing the problem/ A simple file with only one field would be quite sufficient.

Posted

This is to edit my previous post. I am a fairly new to FileMaker Pro 11. I used FileMaker many years ago when it was a flat file database and had no problems with it. Maybe the issues I am having are due to the relational DB, but I don't thinks so. I am creating an = relationship between two tables. I am trying to create a field in a layout of the first table using a field and records from the second table. I use the inspector to designate "display data from" with a control style of "drop down data". However, when I do this, the magnifying glass icon on the right side of the field box turns yellow from green (which is fine), however, when I go back to browse mode from layout mode, I do not see any data in the field from the second table. I have spent a lot of time with this and can not find the problem. Could someone give me some pointers on this please?

Thanks,

Posted

This is another edit my previous post. I am a fairly new to FileMaker Pro 11. I used FileMaker many years ago when it was a flat file database and had no problems with it. Maybe the issues I am having are due to the relational DB, but I don't thinks so. I am creating an = relationship between two tables. I am trying to create a field in a layout of the first table using a field and records from the second table. I use the inspector to designate "display data from" with a control style of "drop down data". However, when I do this, the magnifying glass icon on the right side of the field box turns yellow from green (which is fine), however, when I go back to browse mode from layout mode, I do not see any data in the field from the second table. I have spent a lot of time with this and can not find the problem. Could someone give me some pointers on this please? (When I am in the browse mode and use the tab key to cycle through all the fields on the layout, the cursor skips the field I am having difficulty with.)

Thanks,

Posted (edited)

You cannot enter data into a field from a related table unless [a] a related record exists, or the relationship is defined to allow creating related records.

---

P.S. If you want to edit your post, you can do so. Repeating the same text with some minor modifications is not making it easy for the readers.

Edited by comment