• LocationBahamas
  • FM Application:11 Advance
  • Platform:Mac OS X Lion
  • Skill Level:Intermediate
  • Membership:TechNet
  • Time Online: 50d 11h 26m 39s

Posted 14 August 2011 - 01:10 AM

Hello all,

i have a question that maybe someone can help me with. I am trying to come up with a system that
when user chooses a product from a drop down list in a portal, it is added. The only issue i need is that
If the user chooses a cake ( i need to ask for the flavor, filling, message,etc ) then take those variables & add to the order
but not the portal.
1st - is this possible
2nd - any other way to get this behavior.

thank you

-imoree

#2 comment  consultant

comment
  • Members
  • 24,272 posts
  • Time Online: 333d 18h 53m 1s

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:31 AM

Not sure what you mean by "add to the order but not the portal". Surely an order does not have a flavor, does it?

In any case, I don't think we have enough information to provide an answer. Do all products have variations? How different/similar are they from product to product?

#3 imoree  master

imoree
  • Members
  • 384 posts
  • LocationBahamas

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:30 AM

I think i figured a solution out.
What i did was write a script so when it is sent to be printed my script loops through the
portal object , checks for "keywords" and then alerts user to missing data & then goes to set field contents.

At least this seems to be working for me right now.

to answer the question above. All products do have variations. e.g - cupcakes & cakes ( buttercream, whip cream, fondant), cupcakes , whip cream, image, buttercream , cream cheese. Cookies, image , iced, etc
Various combinations and customization options.

-i

#4 comment  consultant

comment
  • Members
  • 24,272 posts
  • Time Online: 333d 18h 53m 1s

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:09 AM

I would run a script when a product is selected. You can do this by attaching a script trigger to the drop-down list in the portal - or you could have another portal showing all products and select the product by clicking on it. The script would open a new window where the user can choose all variations available for the selected product.

That concerns the user interface - there's another question here how to organize the data itself.

#5 imoree  master

imoree
  • Members
  • 384 posts
  • LocationBahamas

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:26 AM

that sounds better & i am still designing the organization of the date. my ERD design is taking some time due to the
complexity of our business.

thanks again

FMForum Advertisers