•  

UPGRADE DEADLINE - SEPTEMBER 26, 2014!
FileMaker Inc. has a deadline for users of version 10,11, 12 as Individual box or volume licenses (with expired maintenance).
If you don't renew your maintenance and upgrade to FMP 13 you will no longer be eligible to upgrade, at the discount pricing.

Volume Licensing upgrade pricing for FileMaker Pro 13, FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced and FileMaker Server 13 will be discontinued.
Individual upgrade pricing for FileMaker Pro 13 and FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced will increase after September 26, 2014.
As of 27-September-2014, FileMaker 10 products will no longer be available for purchase or support.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13865

Photo

Updating Many Records - Best Practices?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 uemtux  Professional FM Guy for 5 Years

uemtux
  • Members
  • 75 posts
  • FM Application:12 Advance
  • Platform:Mac OS X Snow Leopard
  • Skill Level:Intermediate
  • Time Online: 1d 8h 30m 29s

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:53 PM

Hi all,

I'm writing a web-app to talk to my company's filemaker database. It's for inventory.

The app runs a query on the products table to find the ones that we're checking inventory for, this usually returns about 1300 records. (This initial step takes about 3-5 seconds) I store the resultant FX array into the user's session. I use the array to allow the web app to quickly page through the products. The inventory numbers (3 fields - boxes, packs, units) entered by the user are stored in the array as well.

Once all the inventory numbers are entered, I will have the user commit his entered inventory to the filemaker database. My plan is to iterate through the products in the array and perform a query for each one, finding it by recID, then writing the 3 fields back to the FM database. Based on my experience with FX so far, this is likely to be a slow procedure. Is there any better way to do what I need to?

Thanks!
Martin Brice - my old and good friend who promised me we would not get in trouble and who, I might add, did not.

FMForum Advertisers