Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

importing from excel; match field required for new record

2 posts in this topic

I'm setting up an excel file for import to "update matching records in found set" records and selected the option to "add remaining data as new records." My match field is the sys_id. What I"m finding is filemaker won't add the remaining data as new records unless there's a value in the sys_id match field. Normally, that field is set to auto-enter a serial number in sequence. I would prefer not to create a sys_id value in the excel in case someone has created the same one from within filemaker.

Any reason Filemaker is requiring data in the match field to create a new record with the remaining data?

Thanks for any help and advice.

If I understand this correctly, you should create a calculation field = sys_id and use it as the match field. Then your new records can have any arbitrary value in their sys_id cell. Make sure to apply auto-enters during the import.

I am assuming here that the existing records do have a sys_id value and that it is the correct one - otherwise your question makes no sense.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By TaiChi56
      I am using FileMaker Pro 12. I wrote a script to look at a field and if the value is less or equal to .70 it will run the report. I have it set to Auto open an EXCEL spreadsheet. When the script runs I see that it finds the records but then my EXCEL spreadsheet is empty. Here is the script:
      Perform Find [Restore] Save Records as Excel["TotalAttendance.xls";Automatically open;Records being browsed] Go to Layout[original layout] Show All Records In the Perform Find [Restore] I have the following coded:
      Find Records PersonnelRecords::PercentDaysAttended:[<_ .70] That is suppose to be less than and equal to. Did not know how to show it with the keyboard.
    • By Anna.anto
      Attention: Before posting in the general discussion forum please review the other forums that would best suit your topic.
      If you cannot find one then you may delete this text and post your topic in this forum.
      Hi all, I need to import into filemaker table an XML file as this:
      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
        <Field APIName="WrntyID">6029065</Field>
        <Field APIName="ExternalID">1761A</Field>
        <Field APIName="Name">sayIT SA</Field>
      now I'am trying to create the xls file.
      This is my xls file....
      <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
      <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="">
          <xsl:template match="/">
              <FMPXMLRESULT xmlns="">
                      <FIELD EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT="1" NAME="WrntyID" TYPE="TEXT"/>
                      <FIELD EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT="1" NAME="ExternalID" TYPE="TEXT"/>
                      <FIELD EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT="1" NAME="Name" TYPE="TEXT"/>            
                              <DATA><xsl:value-of select=“Account/Field[1]" /></DATA>
                              <DATA><xsl:value-of select=“Account/Field[2]” /></DATA>
                              <DATA><xsl:value-of select=“Account/Field[3]” /></DATA>
      This instruction <xsl:value-of select=“Account/Field[1]"/> doesn't work.
      What is the right syntax to retrive the value of the first TAG FIELD? Then the second end so on...?
      Many thanks
    • By fm8443
      I have 4 Tables of Sales Records (1 per Store) for the same 1000 products (each sold in the 4 Stores).   Table1 (T1) has 30,000 records T2 has 50,000 records T3 has 10,000 records T4 has 10,000 records   The fields in the 4 Tables have different names and contain similar “core” content.   Tables are added to each month with additional records (imported into FM 14 Pro Advanced from Excel).   Unfortunately the same Products are named slightly differently in each of the 4 tables.  Each store / table has a (text) Product-ID but (for the same product) it is different per store. I do want to rectify this “naming problem” (perhaps in a Table #5?)  so I can produce a report showing sales for each of the 1000 products across all 4 stores (grouped by date etc.) I’m not sure how to structure/carry-out this in Filemaker most effectively.  Any ideas?   Ultimately, when the data is clean, I want to upload ALL the records (e.g. 100,000 records) in one export into one Excel spreadsheet so I can run a Pivot Table (Cross-Tab) report.   Do I need to combine the 4 Tables into 1 Master Table before doing an Export on the Master Table? If so, how would I do this?   Thanks for any ideas about this?
    • By jax
      Hi FMers,
      I'm trying to get multiple choice quiz questions into a FileMaker database. The information is in a plain text file. Question and options are simply separated by returns:
      Where in the cell is the genome located?
      Mostly in the cytosol.
      Mostly in the mitochondria.
      [X] Mostly in the nucleus.
      Stored in the membrane.
      Stored in RNA.
      Next question...
      Each question has 5 options, one of which is correct [X]. There's an empty line between questions.
      What's a good approach to get this into a FileMaker database with separate fields for the questions, the options, and the correct solution?
      All the best
    • By H
      Hi i created a certificate and want that when it is clicked to save it it gets created into a pdf and then imported into the cetification container field , however for some reason i am recieving some error  in my script  , the pdf does not save at all. 
      see script below:
      i would appreciate if someone could tell me where i went wrong why my pdf is not saving and if this is the method to save the pdf to a container