Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mbarrett65

importing from excel; match field required for new record

2 posts in this topic

I'm setting up an excel file for import to "update matching records in found set" records and selected the option to "add remaining data as new records." My match field is the sys_id. What I"m finding is filemaker won't add the remaining data as new records unless there's a value in the sys_id match field. Normally, that field is set to auto-enter a serial number in sequence. I would prefer not to create a sys_id value in the excel in case someone has created the same one from within filemaker.

Any reason Filemaker is requiring data in the match field to create a new record with the remaining data?

Thanks for any help and advice.

-Mo

If I understand this correctly, you should create a calculation field = sys_id and use it as the match field. Then your new records can have any arbitrary value in their sys_id cell. Make sure to apply auto-enters during the import.

I am assuming here that the existing records do have a sys_id value and that it is the correct one - otherwise your question makes no sense.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Export and Import Same Records in a single operation
      By shevyshevy
      I have come across this technique severally on this forum, but I can't figure out how this really works. Right now I am faced with a situation that requires similar technique and I can't seem to get it work.
      I have Table A and Table B.
      1. I want to script an import Process that will first export all records in Table A into Table B (kinda A Clone Copy of Table A) Thats just my basic objective
      2. Then from there, I would want to be able to do similar Process but this time, I will only update the records in Table B with that of Table A using a match field.
      3. I will also love to perform the process based on a found count. ie after performing a find of specific records
      I think If I can be guided on achieving NO. 1, then I can similarly script the others..

• How to Identify Ipad Model
      By Walter-MainFrame
      Hi 
      We have a database in Go 14 and users  need to Import records from Filemaker Server 14, to Filemaker Go.
      And it runs very good with all Users that have:
      Ipad Air 2 and Ipad Pro  
      Import time: 8 to 9  Minutes

But all the users that have:
      Ipad 3rd and Ipad 4rd Generation 
      Import time: + 1Hour

Both using the same wireless,
      Is there any way I can identify in a script what Ipad Model the user has ?

Best Regards

• PSOS Import Records is failing
      By thomas.brinch
      Hi,
      I have a problem with server side import of records. I have a simple script which just does an import of a textile (with tab delimiters):
      Set Variable [$FileList; Value: "filewin://server/folder/1795739.txt"]
      Go to Layout ["files" (files)]
      Import Records [No dialog; "$FileList"; Add; UTF-8]
      When I run it client side, everything is fine. When I run it server side with Perform Script on Server I'm getting an error:
      The previous script step, "Perform Script on Server", could not be completed because of an error....
      If I run Get ( LastError), I get error code 100 (File is missing)
      I have tried many different file locations for the textile. Network path, Local path (on the FM server) and Relative path (from where the database is placed on FM server).
      I have tried placing the file in the FM server Databases and Documents folder AND the User Documents folder:
      filewin://server/folder/1795739.txt
      filewin:/C:/Users/ARAXI/Documents/1795739.txt
      filewin:/C:/Program Files/FileMaker/FileMaker Server/Data/Documents/1795739.txt
      filewin:/C:/Program Files/FileMaker/FileMaker Server/Data/Databases/1795739.txt
      file:1795739.txt
      Every time I get error 100. What am I doing wrong??
      FileMaker server is v14 on Windows Server 2008 and the client is running on Windows 7.

• Exporting large summary file to Excel taking long time
      By Neil_Million
      I've got multiple Filemake databases with 4m+ records each. I've created a layout which calculates a summary using a sort, Groups and Counts. This takes 10-15 seconds, which is OK.
      However, when I try to export this summary report to Excel it appears that Filemaker has to recalculate all the Groups & Counts, but for some reason this takes several hours. The last report took over 4 hours.
      I can't figure out how I can simply export or copy the summary report that Filemaker creates for the Layout?
      Please can someone provide assistance because I have another 20 similar reports to do and this will take me days instead of hours
    • Import pdf and word documents from folders
      By shevyshevy
      I have been able to use the Import script step to import pictures from a folder. However, doing the same for bunch of pdf and word document files have not been a success. Is there any special trick to achieve this?