Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mbarrett65

importing from excel; match field required for new record

2 posts in this topic

I'm setting up an excel file for import to "update matching records in found set" records and selected the option to "add remaining data as new records." My match field is the sys_id. What I"m finding is filemaker won't add the remaining data as new records unless there's a value in the sys_id match field. Normally, that field is set to auto-enter a serial number in sequence. I would prefer not to create a sys_id value in the excel in case someone has created the same one from within filemaker.

Any reason Filemaker is requiring data in the match field to create a new record with the remaining data?

Thanks for any help and advice.

-Mo

If I understand this correctly, you should create a calculation field = sys_id and use it as the match field. Then your new records can have any arbitrary value in their sys_id cell. Make sure to apply auto-enters during the import.

I am assuming here that the existing records do have a sys_id value and that it is the correct one - otherwise your question makes no sense.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• import
      By Sheju Sathyanesan
      I am looking for, a script or method, so I can import records from CSV to another related table fields ! How is that possible
    • Import XLSX to Child Table
      By John Kostenbader
      It has been covered here but I really can't find a sufficient answer. When I do an automated import of an xlsx file that has no blank lines at the top into a portal that is part of a child relationship I keep getting blank lines. I've confirmed that there are no blank rows in the excel spreadsheet. For the particular import I'm talking about i get one blank line at the top (portal is not sorted in any way). I also get two blank lines at the bottom. I can almost understand the blank lines at the bottom (how does FM know when to stop?) but I cannot wrap my head around why I have one at the beginning
    • Portal exported to excel spreadsheet only contains one related field once, other fields are empty
      By justakid
      Hi All,
      Sorry if the title is a bit confusing, I wasn't sure how to explain it.
      Basically I've got a layout that contains a portal to another table. abc0198_cpa_v002 and xyz0570_cpa_v0008 are the link to the other table (linked to the table by the first 6 characters)

the problem I have is when I export this I get the following in Excel. I was hoping that the empty fields beneath abc0198_cpa_v002 would be filled with abc0198_cpa_v002.

I can get it to work by going to the related table, searching for those records (abc0198 & xyz0570), but I will fall into the same problem when I receive multiple records that relate to the same record in the other table. IE I might receive abc0198_cpa_v002 and abc0198_cpa_v005 etc.
      I hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for any help.
    • Container Fields and Printing
      By Answers
      In our database solution we have a table that holds other documents relating to the data. The enduser might insert a PDF or a JPG. So the table is made up of a container field, a job number (unique identifier). To view the file the user clicks in the container (script exports field contents and automatically opens).
      The thing we would like to do is when printing a job report if there are any "external documents", would like them to print as well. We want it be be part of the complete report. The container is setup for interactive content and start playback automatically. The script exports the container and imports it back in... on the Mac it produces the correct results, on the PC  it prints as a pdf icon for example. Maybe what I want is not possible. Any suggestions.
    • FileMaker 14 as data source to MS Access
      By mr_mike
      I have a client that would like to use MS Access to connect to a table in a solution hosted on FMS 14.0.3.  What I'm reading suggests that was possible with .fmp5 and .fmp7 but is no longer available in .fm12.  I've tried to use Access and both (mac) Excel and (windows) Excel to connect via ODBC to the FMS hosted table and I can construct the query and see the fields, but when I submit the request I get an error.  Is it still possible to connect Excel or Access to FileMaker 14.0.3 (hosted)?  The error I get appears on the attached screenshot.
      Is anyone currently doing this?  
      Thank you in advance.