• 623 posts
  • LocationCoeur d'Alene, ID
  • FM Application:12 Advance
  • Platform:Mac OS X Lion
  • Skill Level:Intermediate
  • Membership:TechNet
  • Time Online: 6d 2h 38m 12s

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

Are you running any third-party plug-ins? These may be the problem.

I've been in contact with 360works and have sent them my app. This is the report:

360works.jpg

It looks like the problem is with Filemaker's 03 update.....

#22 LaRetta   Lifelong FM Student

LaRetta
  • Members
  • 9,749 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • FM Application:13 Advance
  • Platform:Mac OS X Mavericks
  • Time Online: 213d 7h 18m 54s

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for following up on this Ron. I was unable to replicate but sometimes it takes many people testing different systems and OS combinations to pin it down. I think, for first time since 6.0v4, FM will need to come out with a v4 updater for one of their versions. There are simply too many bugs to leave it as is.
Each assumption is an educated guess, a likely condition or event, presumed known and true in the absence of absolute certainty.

#23 Vaughan  Mostly Harmless

Vaughan
  • Moderators
  • 10,294 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
  • FMGo:iPhone / iPod Touch, iPad
  • Platform:Cross Platform
  • Skill Level:Expert
  • Certification:8, 9, 10, 11
  • Time Online: 4d 9h 48s

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

I think, for first time since 6.0v4, FM will need to come out with a v4 updater for one of their versions. There are simply too many bugs to leave it as is.

There is a v4 update for FMP 11 Mac OS X.
Vaughan Bromfield
Sydney, Australia

Please post questions to the Forum, not directly to me. Back-up your files before making changes!

Whenever I hear the term "popular culture" I reach for my Iridium Q-36 Space Modulator.

#24 LaRetta   Lifelong FM Student

LaRetta
  • Members
  • 9,749 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

Thanks Vaughan! I was thinking on the Windows side for some reason (probably because I work more in Windows). We could have used an 11 v4 updater as well for our pop-ups.

It seems that this v3 is hitting us both equally with issues which shows they love both platforms equally. :jester:
Each assumption is an educated guess, a likely condition or event, presumed known and true in the absence of absolute certainty.

#25 ron G  Amateur Developer

ron G
  • Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:14 PM

Question: " Does FM know about this bug? Should I post it in response to this posting? (I know the forum doesn't like multiple postings on the same thing

This update addresses issues regarding layout design and rendering, printing, plug-ins, scripting, container fields, portals, and more.

v3release.jpg

#26 LaRetta   Lifelong FM Student

LaRetta
  • Members
  • 9,749 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:09 AM

I'm unclear what you are asking, "Does FMI know about this bug?" I thought I saw your posting over on FileMaker Report An Issue. And on post #18 you said you reported it to FMI. That is the only place in the universe where we might hear confirmation from FMI although the quality of their response is usually anti-climactic. That forum is where you can read about bugs and report them. If you do not get confirmation after you post, you can bug them by posting on the thread again.

Am I misunderstanding your question? :-)

#27 Lee Smith  I like the v13 layout tools

Lee Smith
  • Staff
  • 10,103 posts
  • FMGo:iPhone / iPod Touch
  • Skill Level:Expert
  • Time Online: 225d 9h 57m 2s

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

Question: " Does FM know about this bug? Should I post it in response to this posting? (I know the forum doesn't like multiple postings on the same thing

I'm confused by your post. :(
You stated in an earlier post (#18) that you HAD reported it (Although I don't know why we had to ask you so many times before you admitted it.) :(

Please do not start another topic about this, just keep it here.

The FMForums is not part of FileMaker Inc, and any communication you want them to have, needs to be sent to them direct.

As a side note, I don't know of any one at FileMaker Inc, that even reads the FMForums.

Lee

#28 ron G  Amateur Developer

ron G
  • Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

I'm confused by your post. :sad:
You stated in an earlier post (#18) that you HAD reported it (Although I don't know why we had to ask you so many times before you admitted it.) :sad:

Please do not start another topic about this, just keep it here.

The FMForums is not part of FileMaker Inc, and any communication you want them to have, needs to be sent to them direct.

As a side note, I don't know of any one at FileMaker Inc, that even reads the FMForums.

Lee

Lee,
Your confusion probably centers around different interpretations of what "report it to them..." means. Since I am not in regular contact with FM and since you did not define what "report it to them" looks like, the definition of what the 'behavior' of reporting is left to my definition.

To me it looks like I went into the FM forums and created the question and resulting thread. What does the behavior of reporting look like to you? :logik:

#29 LaRetta   Lifelong FM Student

LaRetta
  • Members
  • 9,749 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

Ahm, I supplied the link in 12 but I realize I also said I would try to test but I couldn't - I was away from computers and only tested quickly on one windows box. And someone posted about it over on FileMaker Forums Report An Issue. Regardless, you are communicating and that helps everyone who searches for same issues. But FMI needs to be told. As Lee says, FM Forums (and all the other forums) aren't FMI. :)

Anyway if you haven't posted on that thread I provided in Post #12 then please do so. :yep:

#30 ron G  Amateur Developer

ron G
  • Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

Thanks LaRetta. Very useful information.
Just to be sure, I went to the link and 'reported' the problem. By way of me 'not forgetting', below is the report.... :laugh2:

reportedtoFM.jpg

#31 ron G  Amateur Developer

ron G
  • Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

November 10.  Update.

I've heard nothing from Filemaker.  It will be interesting to see if they come out with v 4?

#32 LaRetta   Lifelong FM Student

LaRetta
  • Members
  • 9,749 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Hi Ron, :smile:

I am keeping my fingers crossed.  With the issues being reported, I can't imagine NOT coming out with v4.  But then ... that is what I thought about 10 and 11 (Windows) as well. :hmm:

#33 ron G  Amateur Developer

ron G
  • Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

Just a quick update.

I downloaded upgrade v 2 and it too creates the 'Filemaker Crash' situation as does v 3.

V1 DOES NOT create this problem. 

#34 ron G  Amateur Developer

ron G
  • Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

I think I got it working in v 3!!!!

I had a much more complicated application that worked as expected.  Other people have not registered the same complaint (that I know of).  So, the error must be in my app somewhere.  But, the script that causes the error runs without error in debug?!  So, opened the menu script and copied it to the clipboard.  Then I created a 'new' script and pasted that code into it.  I reassigned the script trigger to the new script and it works.   

Does this mean that I / FM created a corrupted script?  Has anyone heard of that?

#35 ron G  Amateur Developer

ron G
  • Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:32 AM

Correction.  It worked when I made the popup selection about 50 times.   Just a few minutes ago it blew up again!  I just tried this app on a Windows 7 machine and it worked perfectly. (so far)

If so, this situation begs the question "Is it OSX 10.8.2 ?  Is FM 'rated' to run with 10.8.2?

Here is a YouTube video of the crash: 

Back to v 1 

======================

Here is the latest error readout:

Process:         FileMaker Pro [81585]
Path:            /Applications/FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro
Identifier:      com.filemaker.client.advanced12
Version:         12.0.3 (12.0.3)
Code Type:       X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [174]
User ID:         501

Date/Time:       2012-11-17 01:20:26.938 -0800
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)
Report Version:  10

Interval Since Last Report:          171198 sec
Crashes Since Last Report:           6
Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  8664 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   4
Anonymous UUID:                      A9C064AE-41AE-F9A9-2AF2-299B873AE405

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000038820207

VM Regions Near 0x38820207:
    __LINKEDIT             0000000038313000-000000003842b000 [ 1120K] r--/rwx SM=COW  /Applications/FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/Frameworks/libxalan-c.dylib
-->
    __TEXT                 0000000040000000-0000000040006000 [   24K] r-x/rwx SM=COW  /Applications/FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/Frameworks/libxalanMsg.dylib

Application Specific Information:
Java information:
 Exception type: Bus Error (0xa) at pc=000000000411ca49

Java VM: Java HotSpot™ Client VM (20.12-b01-434 mixed mode macosx-x86)

Current thread (000000001a1ea000):  JavaThread "Thread-1" daemon [_thread_in_native, id=-1396413912, stack(00000000bf800000,00000000c0000000)]
Stack: [00000000bf800000,00000000c0000000]

#36 ron G  Amateur Developer

ron G
  • Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

Latet update:  NOV 17

The field the popup was based on is a 'global' field named MenuReport in the Global table. 

I created a global field in Patient name MenuReport and selected that as the popup source.

So far... everything works.  Why?

Shouldn't Global::MenuReport work just as well as Patient::MenuReport??

ron

#37 ron G  Amateur Developer

ron G
  • Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

Nov 24, 2012

Update:  After working on 2 different apps, I returned to working on the Medical Records app that caused the problem.  After producing a runtime version, I shut down FM and tried the created app.   After only 2 selections ... it shut down Filemaker!!! 

So, it is back to 12 v 01.... Since 02 and 03 both blow up FM.  Strange that FM is not interested in this.... Oh well.

#38 Rick Whitelaw  Time Saver

Rick Whitelaw
  • Members
  • 687 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada
  • Time Online: 21d 22h 4m 16s

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

I don't get it. When a runtime app is running, FileMaker isn't, no? You do say you exited (quit?) filemaker then ran the runtime. Are you saying your runtime crashed?

#39 ron G  Amateur Developer

ron G
  • Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

I don't get it. When a runtime app is running, FileMaker isn't, no? You do say you exited (quit?) filemaker then ran the runtime. Are you saying your runtime crashed?

Right.  From FM I created the RT.  I then shut down FM and ran the .app.  It crashed just like when I run the application from within FM.

Here is another update:

Each 'choice' in the popup (see the movie in the previous posting) became a application MENU choice.  The menu ran the same code that created a window and loaded a layout.  I then upgraded from v1 to v3 and, from FM, ran my FMP12 file.  I made menu 25 choices and it did NOT CRASH.   If this holds, it would mean that FM has an issue with their POPUP control.  (fingers crossed)

#40 ron G  Amateur Developer

ron G
  • Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:21 PM

DEc 26, 2013

Here is the latest.

This issue has been absent since I last reported on it.  I have created several apps and work on a daily basis in FM 12 Adv 04.  Not a problem.

Then just a few days ago, while on my Windows 7 PC, FM started crashing again.  So, I copied the file to my OSX machine and it too crashes.

The app is really simple.  Does anyone want to try it on their machine to see if it will crash for them?

Let me know and I will upload the fmp12 file.

Ron

FMForum Advertisers