•  

UPGRADE DEADLINE - SEPTEMBER 26, 2014!
FileMaker Inc. has a deadline for users of version 10,11, 12 as Individual box or volume licenses (with expired maintenance).
If you don't renew your maintenance and upgrade to FMP 13 you will no longer be eligible to upgrade, at the discount pricing.

Volume Licensing upgrade pricing for FileMaker Pro 13, FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced and FileMaker Server 13 will be discontinued.
Individual upgrade pricing for FileMaker Pro 13 and FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced will increase after September 26, 2014.
As of 27-September-2014, FileMaker 10 products will no longer be available for purchase or support.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13865

Photo

Upload Contents of Container Field to FTP (Mac OS / AppleScript technique)

applescript container macos ftp curl

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 uemtux  Professional FM Guy for 5 Years

uemtux
  • Members
  • 75 posts
  • FM Application:12 Advance
  • Platform:Mac OS X Snow Leopard
  • Skill Level:Intermediate
  • Time Online: 1d 8h 30m 29s

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

Hi All, 

I just thought I'd try to give back to the community that has given so much to me by writing a little tutorial. This technique is one I developed on Macs. Mac OS X has the curl command line tool as part of the default installation. Curl is like a web swiss army knife. You can fetch files, POST data, upload to or download from FTP servers etc... so it brings a lot of functionality to the table which isn't built into FileMaker. I make use of curl through the "do shell script" AppleScript command, which in FileMaker I use through the "Perform AppleScript" script step. Here's a simple 6 line script that lets you take the contents of a container field and upload it to an FTP site. Substitute your container field in the first and fifth lines and your FTP information in the $script variable to make it functional. This script could be extended by actually having variables for the FTP credentials/location too but I've kept it simple here just to demonstrate the technique.

set variable [$file_name; GetAsText(YourTable::YourContainerField)]

set variable [$path_temp; Get(TemporaryPath) & $file_name]

set variable [$path_unix; Middle($path_temp ; Position($path_temp ; "/" ; 1 ; 2) ; Length($path_temp))]

set variable [$script; "do shell script \"curl -T " & $path_unix & " ftp://USERNAME:PASSWORD@FTP_HOST/FTP_DIRECTORY/" & $file_name &"\""]

Export Field Contents [YourTable::YourContainerField; "$path_temp"]

Perform AppleScript [$script]

Enjoy!

Martin Brice - my old and good friend who promised me we would not get in trouble and who, I might add, did not.

#2 RobinDC  newbie

RobinDC
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Platform:Mac OS X Lion
  • Skill Level:Expert
  • Certification:12
  • Membership:TechNet
  • Time Online: 1h 53m 31s

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

This is fantastic, and so simple. It worked for me on the first try. I couldn't believe it. Thank you.

#3 uemtux  Professional FM Guy for 5 Years

uemtux
  • Members
  • 75 posts
  • Platform:Mac OS X Snow Leopard
  • Time Online: 1d 8h 30m 29s

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:15 AM

NOTE FOR FUTURE VIEWERS OF THIS THREAD:

The script as-is may not work since as of FileMaker 12 GetAsText(containerField) returns more than just the filename. You may have to look for and remove additional text such as "remote:"

Martin Brice - my old and good friend who promised me we would not get in trouble and who, I might add, did not.

#4 RodM  journeyman

RodM
  • Members
  • 429 posts
  • LocationEugene OR
  • Platform:Windows 7
  • Time Online: 3d 15h 35m 20s

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

Wondering...Is there a Apple script replacement for Windows?

RodM

#5 johnmaclulich  newbie

johnmaclulich
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • FM Application:10 Advance
  • Time Online: 17s

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

Simple - and did just what it is supposed to do!

FMPro 13 allows easier extraction of the container file name, by using the GetContainerAttribute function:

GetContainerAttribute ( GetContainerAttribute ( sourceField ; attributeName ) and substituting "filename" for "attributeName".

Other attributes can easily be read, too, as listed here:

http://help.filemake...ts-in-filemaker

HOWEVER... I suspect that the "curl-T" command has problems with specific characters in the file name.

I have found that the script just hangs if the file name contains spaces, "&", or other such non-UNIX-friendly characters.

Is there a way to overcome this, and still preserve the original filename?

John MacLulich
Owner & Filemaker in-house developer
Pure Colours Digital Imaging
Sydney, Australia

FMForum Advertisers