eagleaye
  • Members
  • 12 posts
  • FM Application:13 Advance
  • Platform:Mac OS X Mountain Lion
  • Skill Level:Novice
  • Time Online: 11h 33m 55s

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:16 AM

Are there any practical options, that anyone could suggest, that I can explore that will help me solve my conundrum? i.e A way of displaying the actual records from the related tables that show the values matching my search criteria from a "find layout".

If not, and the only (or best) way is to have a single table of all test results what would be my best options to create this table. Create a new FM table that would populate itself from the existing tables in FM, or create from my starting material (Excel worksheets)?

Any advice appreciated, I've attached my basic test FM file that may illustrate my problem better.

#22 eagleaye  member

eagleaye
  • Members
  • 12 posts
  • FM Application:13 Advance
  • Platform:Mac OS X Mountain Lion
  • Skill Level:Novice
  • Time Online: 11h 33m 55s

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:22 AM

Opps! forgot to attach file

Attached Files

#23 comment  consultant

comment
  • Members
  • 24,468 posts
  • Time Online: 340d 21h 41m 53s

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

I am currently limited to v.11, so I can't look at your file. In any case, I believe the available options have been presented: either store your search criteria in global fields or variables and use these to filter the portals, or unite the child tables into one. The first option, aside from being laborious, will get progressively slower as the number of portals to filter increases.

Note however that if you do unite all you test results into one table, and you search that table, your found set will be test results - not the tested subjects. If the same subject has been tested twice in the same category, and both test results meet the search criteria, you will have two records in the found set representing the same subject. OTOH, if you perform the find in the subjects table, you will face the same problem as you do now - since some found subject may have other test results that do not meet the search criteria.

FMForum Advertisers