Maker of Files

Background color changes color in preview mode

5 posts in this topic

I don't even know where to begin.

I have a db...In every layout for every table—in spite of the fact that their parts all have a white fill—the background turns red in preview mode. I'm using 12, so if I change the theme, this doesn't happen, but if I change the theme back to classic, I get the red background again. I put white rectangles covering the layout parts and that helps; except at the part boundaries, you can still see red and there's nothing you can do about it.

Any ideas where to being troubleshooting? I found out that if I remove the white background fill, the default color is red...in classic...So what that seems to mean, then, is that in preview mode, my white background is being stripped away. The clumsy solution was to select a new theme, turn everything white, remove the alternating body fill, and copy the layout objects onto this new layout. But I want this red background thing to make sense to me!

So thanks for any ideas at all.

post-106170-0-15843700-1394051002_thumb.

post-106170-0-06319000-1394051006_thumb.

post-106170-0-16405600-1394051009_thumb.

post-106170-0-92920400-1394051158_thumb.

Hi Maker, and welcome to the Forum.

I  moved your question from "Layouts" to "Custom Themes in FM12 because, we created this especially for the layout tools new with the release of v12.

Are you using the latest update of v12, if not update and let us know if that fixe the problem.

p.s.

Update your Profile to reflect your current information as v12 etc. Here is a quick link for you. MY PROFILE.

Hi Maker

Just wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this, because i have exactly the same problem, (though in my case the colour is blue, not red) and I can't get to the bottom of it. 

Any help or advise would be great,

Milt

Anybody find a fix for this problem? We have the exact same issue (FMP 12.0v5) with the background turning red in Preview mode in a database which suddenly started exhibiting the issue after months of trouble-free operation.

Thanks,

Colin

I believe the problem lies with new features in Filemaker 13.

We had that problem recently as one of us tested FMA 13 while most of our users are still using FM 12 client. In FM 13, layouts do have a general background color (Inspector -> Appearance) which does not exist in FM 12.

It seems that when you edit a layout in FM 13, you might accidentally set this background color which then takes precedence over the elements' background colors you can manage in FM12.

So, the solution is to open the layout in FM13 and set or remove this layout background color.

You can see that "Layout background" feature on the right side of the image below. (source : http://www.technologytell.com/apple/131237/filemaker-pro-13-for-os-x-review/ )

fmpro13-inspector-appearance-364x1024.pn

Edited by NLMR
Added the source website for the picture

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By 123
      Hey,
      I want to use the same header on all my layouts in FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced but I can't seem to find a way to accomplish it. I read on Google and other forums that there is no way to do it, however the posts I found are all at least a year or two old. Did they add a way to do it in FileMaker 15 or do I still need to duplicate a layout to get the same header on a different one?
      Thanks in advance,
      Mike
    • By 123
      Hey,
      I have a Tab-Separated Text File which I want to import to a database that I just created in FileMaker Pro 15. The text file essentially is a log of events, for instance, one line describes an order, another line describes a payment that has been made. The problem is that I somehow need to import all these lines into different tables. I want all lines in the log file that describe a payment in a table called Payments, and all lines that describe an order in a table called Orders for example.
      I'm just starting out with FileMaker so forgive me if there is an obvious solution that I'm not aware of. I have a background in software development, so the only solution that I can think of is writing a small program myself that does all the parsing for me and creates separate text files that contain all the orders and payments and other events that have been logged in the file. Then I could simply import each file into the table I need all the data in. 
      So to sum everything up, my main question is if there is a way to somehow parse the text file before importing it. I know that you can create custom scripts in FileMaker but I'm not sure if what I need to do can be done just with that.
      Thanks in advance,
      Mike
    • By Guy_Smith
      I've read through the previous posts on things not sliding left properly and I've tried all of the known fixes, and I'm still stumped.  Here's my problem:  I'm trying to get a mailing label layout to display a comma and then any suffix that may follow a person's name (such as Ph.D, PE, MSCE, etc.), but if there is no suffix, then I do not want the comma to display.  Should be a piece of cake, right?!  Ummm...Nope!
      I have fields for prefix (Dr., Ms., Mr., etc.), first name, last name, and suffix.
      I first added a calculation field to combine the prefix, first name, and last name:  = Prefix & " " & First_Name & " " & Last_Name and a second calculation field to combine a comma and the suffix:  = ", " & Suffix.  The comma and suffix field is conditionally formatted to be white if there is no suffix.
      When viewed in Browse Mode, it's looks wonky, but, OK, it's sorta supposed to look goofy, so I can handle that - let's switch to Preview mode and see what happens:  There is a gap between the last letter of the last name and the comma - about two letter-width's.  And printing it shows the same problem - way too much room between the last name and the comma. 
      I have quadruple-checked the following:  The fields are touching - I've even tried overlapping by a pixel or two just to make sure, to no avail.  All fields are set to left and top, all padding is set to zero, and, yes, I did check the 'Remove blank space by: Sliding Left' checkbox.  And I've tried the above using the original text fields (plus a new text field for the comma), my added calc fields, and merge fields. I'm also not sure why I have a blank label/page between each entry - may be a field is too close to the edge, but I'll worry about that later.
      I have attached a copy of the offending file for reference.
      I'm sure it's something simple, but I just can't find it - any help would be greatly appreciated!
      Mailing_Label_test_1.fmp12
    • By Tom2001
      Hi from a relative newbie,
      I have a FMP 13 file that works fine on some computers (both Windows and Mac) but on one Mac computer it works only partially. Several of the layouts work fine, but one layout is "frozen" and does not permit entry in any of the fields. Is there something in the Mac OS that could "lock out" a particular layout, but leave all others normally functional? Should I re-install FMP 13? (I'm not sure how to do that on a Mac. I'm mostly a Windows worker.) Any help or insight would be welcome.
      Thanks,
      Tom