• FM Application:13 Advance
  • Platform:Mac OS X Mountain Lion
  • Skill Level:Expert
  • Certification:9, 11, 12
  • Membership:TechNet
  • Time Online: 32d 13h 21m 30s

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:13 AM

Message 6:

"More to the point, these attendance tables can be generated from any subset of people and/or any subset of meetings."

"This script only needs to run once when setting up the database initially, so I really would like it to do all people and all meetings, not a subset of people for one meeting."

?

#22 Forum Joe  novice

Forum Joe
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • FM Application:12 Advance
  • Platform:Mac OS X Mavericks
  • Skill Level:Intermediate
  • Time Online: 2h 2m 34s

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:23 PM

Wow, don’t you think that that was kind of important information for us to know?

Yes, I do think it is important, hence I've fixed it now.

I'm sorry that Filemaker/Database is only a tiny part of my working life and keeping my details up to date on a website I use infrequently is not a priority.

Message 6:

"More to the point, these attendance tables can be generated from any subset of people and/or any subset of meetings."

"This script only needs to run once when setting up the database initially, so I really would like it to do all people and all meetings, not a subset of people for one meeting."

?

Well, all the records are generated at the beginning, but the attendance tables are just portals that can dynamically show the information based on the current found set.  So when I say the "attendance tables can be generated from any subset" I mean that the user can select which people she wants in the table, and which meetings she wants in the table, and it generates the view of the table based on the data that already exists.

#23 comment  consultant

comment
  • Members
  • 24,273 posts
  • Time Online: 333d 21h 30m 22s

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

@Forum Joe: I suggest you edit your post. That remark is totally uncalled for.

#24 LaRetta   Lifelong FM Student

LaRetta
  • Members
  • 9,839 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Platform:Mac OS X Mavericks
  • Time Online: 230d 22h 56m 34s

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

Hi Joe,

So the idea that a User can select which students and which day to view and complete the Roll Call must be flexible.  But, if I understand, that does not mean it has to be created ahead of time (only DISPLAYED like it looks like it has been created).  And that records only need to track absences and doesn't need to create an empty record for all the days when present.

When you view the example I presented, there are no records for the empty slots - only records for the red boxes. :-)

If you still need records for every single day then the script Comment suggested should do the trick nicely!!  Otherwise just complete the sample display as I showed, use a global to display the span of time you wish to view and perform a find for the Students your User needs to work on.  

I agree with Comment on your response, btw.

Each assumption is an educated guess, a likely condition or event, presumed known and true in the absence of absolute certainty.

#25 Rick Whitelaw  Time Saver

Rick Whitelaw
  • Members
  • 724 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada
  • Platform:Mac OS X Lion
  • Skill Level:Intermediate
  • Time Online: 23d 6h 20m 57s

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:37 PM

Forum Joe,

That wasn't a "snarky comment" and Lee is the last person to make himself feel superior via a comment to a post. If Lee chose to use sarcasm in this case I believe it's completely acceptable. This is a technical forum. 

FMForum Advertisers