Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RyanESmith7

pc
FileMaker Pro on FileMaker Server Server

7 posts in this topic

Is it OK if I install FileMaker Pro on my FileMaker Server? We are running FMS13 on a Windows 2012 Server (Standard). I was thinking of putting FileMaker Pro 13 on the server so that I could open up backups on occasion. Do they co-exist well?

According to the FMS 13 Getting Started Guide: 

If you are currently running FileMaker Pro on the same machine, you must quit FileMaker Pro 

before installing FileMaker Server.

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/13/en/fms13_getting_started.pdf#page=9

I don't know if its good or bad, I have never had a need to install FM Pro or Advanced on the server machine.

Yes. But DO NOT open the backups directly.

Instead make a COPY of the backup you want to investigate. Don't just drag the backup elsewhere you must make a COPY. This is due to the way the backups are generated using HARD LINKS

I do it my myself but for other reasons.

Hi Ryan,

I don't believe there will be a problem with installing Pro on the Server machine.

Josh's reply relates to the installation process for FileMaker Server. Always close open Pro/Advanced applications during the installation process.

Also, if you plan to use FileMaker Pro for debugging purposes in addition to opening the backups, grab Advanced instead.

Hope this helps

-JohnAustin

Josh's reply relates to the installation process for FileMaker Server. Always close open Pro/Advanced applications during the installation process.

hehe...yeah. The reference was simply to show that Pro can be installed on the same machine.

IdealData - Great clarification.

Wouldn't they conflict, as both would try to listen on port 5003?

First, never have both open at the same time.

Second, it is possible, perhaps even likely, the FileMaker Pro will behave abnormally running on the Server OS.  However, it likely is possible to install it.

Third, pay very close attention to the comments about the backups.  Never open the backup on the machine.  Always make a copy of that backup and open the copy if need be.  You can copy it to another location on the same server machine.

Steven

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By Mikael Björk
      Hi, we are going to sync two filemaker server 15 with 360works mirrorsync. does anyone have any experiance with that? how did it work?
      Thanks for your help
      Mikael.

• By Tondats Fuertes
      Hi Filemaker experts,
      Please have patients on me for I’m still novice with this Filemaker language.
      I got two tables here: ServiceRequest and Customers
      Service Request table contains sixteen(16) fields:
      1.SRNo
      2.Name
      3.Account No.
      4.Address
      5.Meter No.
      6.RequestService
      7.RequestType
      8.Remarks
      9.Attention
      10.DateTimeCreated
      11.Receivedby
      12.Notedby
      13.Confirmedby
      14.DateTimeAction
      15.Actedby
      16.Conformedby
      Customers table contains four(4) fields and have 500 records:
      1.CustName
      2.CustAddress
      3.CustAccountNo.
      4.CustMeterNo.
      The “Name” field as drop-down list under the Service Request table, I’m using “Autocomplete using Value List” for user to type the customer’s name and just select it. But the problem is, when I selected the customer’s name, the Account No, Address, and Meter No. will not automatically fill-up with their corresponding address, account no and meter no of the customer.
      What I want is: When a user selected a Customer’s name from a drop-down Customers name’s list, the address, account number, and the meter number should as well automatically filled-up with the corresponding information of the selected customer in the customer’s name field.
      Let say, If I selected the name “EDDIE GARCIA” in the drop-down list
      Name               : EDDIE GARCIA
      Account No.     : 
      Address           : 
      Meter No.        :
      The Account No, Address, and Meter No as well should be automatically filled-up with the corresponding information of EDDIE GARCIA.
      Name              : EDDIE GARCIA
      Account No.    : 012-012-015
      Address          : Brgy. 06 Jose Rizal Street
      Meter No.       : 90806450
      I will appreciate very much if someone can help me with this. Thanks!
    • By genious
      I have a job that I will need Filemaker to do, At the moment I would have to load it onto our old 2008 standard server till we get a new machine in the new year.  For now this project will not be very intensive about 5/6 users at most. Would it work?
    • By troutstudio
      I can't access or download PDF's in a container field when the solution is hosted via Webdirect. Is this problem fixed in FMS15? Thanks for your help - it's much appreciated.
    • By renovante
      After php 7.0.1 installation (successfull) i can´t edit filemaker server´s deployment anymore. on test step, there´s a message: "The FileMaker installation process was unable to communicate with the web server.". Someone knows how can i fix this?