Remote Desktop, Terminal Services - Lag Time

NYPoke

This topic is 4575 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Saw the other Remote Desktop post below, but this is a different issue.

We upgraded to FM 11 a few weeks ago, from Verion 6. For the most part, it is great.

However, when we scroll through records on the Remote Desktop, it has wicked lag time, between records. See a little lag on my desktop, but nothing like this.

I should say Terminal Services, rather than just Remote Desktop. Different animal. Running about 20 TS Clients. Good hardware, but I don't know the specs.

I ran a TS Session from my desktop, with the Server in the next room. Still, way too much lag time.

TS CPU does spike to 90/100%, but it comes back down within 5 seconds. Not an issue. Much, much better performance than when Version 6 was running.

Scripts & what not perform great, just the record to record scolling that is killing me. Even bumped the cache, with no luck.

Any help is certainly appreciated.

• 8 months later...

Sounds like the TS box is not up to spec. You shouldn't see any lag time or at least nothing worse than you're seeing on your desktop. TS machines are usually much better/faster than desktops so you should see better performance. Looks like the TS server is either too weak or not tuned right. Get the specs (# and type of processors, amount of RAM, size and speed of hard disks, # and type of network cards,...) and post back.

• 2 months later...

Sounds like the TS box is not up to spec. You shouldn't see any lag time or at least nothing worse than you're seeing on your desktop. TS machines are usually much better/faster than desktops so you should see better performance. Looks like the TS server is either too weak or not tuned right. Get the specs (# and type of processors, amount of RAM, size and speed of hard disks, # and type of network cards,...) and post back.

I'm afraid I don't check in here often enough. Just get overloaded & only check in when I have problems. I did solve this problem though.

In Layout Mode, the "Show field frames when record is active" box needed to be unchecked. The Terminal Server made it worse, because refresh rate is what the TS is all about.

This only affected layouts where we had lots & lots of fields on the screen. The simple layouts didn't have much delay.

• 5 months later...
  • Newbies

You may also consider using a software solution called Ericom Blaze, which speeds up RDP (the remote protocol used in Terminal Services and VDI). Blaze accelerates RDP performance by as much as 25 times, and helps deliver higher frame rates and reduce screen freezes and choppiness.

You can read more about Blaze and download a free eval at:

http://www.ericom.com/Ericom_Blaze

This topic is 4575 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.