Connecting Filemaker to Active Directory

This topic is 4367 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I was wondering if there is a way in Filemaker or even a plugin that I could grab information out of the active directory of the company's domain, one of the projects I have in mind is to create a table populating all the users in the domain, and creating a folder for each user with the exact name in a network directory, we currently have a VB script file in out server that runs every time a user logins so we can map network folders based on the users that's why I need to create folders with the same user so I can match the names, but I was wondering if there is a way to do it with Filemaker.

Thanks in advance

Note: Currently using Filemaker Pro 12 Advanced

Hi Lucas,

Scodigo has a plugin called Smartpill PHP Edition that essentially allows FM developers to put PHP inside of Filemaker. I don't know how familiar your are with PHP but it is a language in itself that is very fast and full featured. Since Active Directory uses LDAP, and LDAP queries can be performed with PHP, this is one possible answer although it gets rather codie.

If your employer (or client) has an intranet you could build a web page that returns the LDAP information that you are looking for and then scrape the page with Filemaker's web viewer or since you are on version 12 you might be able to pull the content with that new script step that was just introduced in 12. I think it is called Paste From URL or something to that effect. This is kind of a clunky method but if you have an intranet you could theoretically do it without plugins.

This topic is 4367 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.