iPad to iPad Peer-to-Peer sharing possible

This topic is 4105 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Ok, before I burn thru lots of time (as I've already spent a couple hours...), I was hoping someone may KNOW if you can do peer-to-peer between iPads (3 is the goal) on a closed wifi network (no internet connection)...?

AND, if so, could I set it up so that at each iPad a user can log in to show only certain layouts...?

Basically, I'm aiming for a mobilized menu/prep ordering system:  Cashier + Order Prep Queue + Delivery Queue

TIA for any insights :)

iOS devices (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch) cannot act as FileMaker hosts for peer-to-peer sharing. I recommend getting a separate computer to run FileMaker Server.

Each user can be restricted to specific layouts via privilege sets under Manage > Security.

Thanks, Jeremy!

So my 'plan B' is to setup a mac mini as the 'base'...do I 'need' Server or can I get away with just another copy of FMP?  [EDIT: I answered my question once I loaded FMP GO ;) ]

The trick is I'm trying to keep shore line power needs to a minimum (doesn't affect wether Server or not), so mac mini (no display/kb unless needed...).

• 3 weeks later...

Hosting your app with FileMaker Pro on the Mac Mini is possible, but you should really be using FileMaker Server. Your application will work better and your data will be safer. Whether or not a Mac Mini is adequate as a server machine is a matter of open debate, but many people report their solutions run just fine hosted by Mac Minis.

This topic is 4105 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.