Refresh Portal?

RyanESmith7

This topic is 4076 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a portal with a long list of data. I have added two global fields so that the user can narrow down the results. I would like to do this real-time as they type into the global fields. 

I have the filter function working close enough, but what I can't seem to figure out is how to refresh the portal. If I leave the layout and come back, the correct data shows up, but where's the "Refresh Portal" or "Filter Portal" function???

Thank you in advance,

Ryan

Thanks, Bruce, I will read that. 

Wim, I'm actually searching 3 different fields. This is a "selector" list that comes from another software and they have it broken up into "Category", "Selector" and "Description". There might be 20-30 line items with the same "Category" and the "Selector"'s might be similar and the user may want to look at the list of them to determine which one he wants. A sample data set might look like:

Category    Selector    Description

WTR           BASED     Remove baseboard

WTR           BASEDA   Remove baseboard after-hours

WTR           DEHU       Dehumidifier

WTR           DEHU>     Large Dehumidifier

WTR           DEHU>>   X-Large Dehumidifier

So the user would want to type in "WTR" into a global "Category" search field, and then "DEH" into the "Selector" search field, and then quickly choose the one he wants to add to his estimate. That's the goal, anyway. Alternately, they might want to search the "Description" if they have no clue what "Category" or "Selector" it is. 

All the more reason to use Wim's suggestion!  You'll save yourself a lot of work by using a layout in list view with those three fields on it, and allow the user to search by those fields.  If you like the idea of typing the search in global fields to filter the list, you can also use that method on the list view layout, but use the data from the global fields to perform a find.

But then my user has to keep popping from one layout back to the other, correct? I wish we could have a layout within a layout. I am not a big fan of software that makes users constantly switch screens, especially on touch screens.

This topic is 4076 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.