Upload Contents of Container Field to FTP (Mac OS / AppleScript technique)

This topic is 3008 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All, 

I just thought I'd try to give back to the community that has given so much to me by writing a little tutorial. This technique is one I developed on Macs. Mac OS X has the curl command line tool as part of the default installation. Curl is like a web swiss army knife. You can fetch files, POST data, upload to or download from FTP servers etc... so it brings a lot of functionality to the table which isn't built into FileMaker. I make use of curl through the "do shell script" AppleScript command, which in FileMaker I use through the "Perform AppleScript" script step. Here's a simple 6 line script that lets you take the contents of a container field and upload it to an FTP site. Substitute your container field in the first and fifth lines and your FTP information in the $script variable to make it functional. This script could be extended by actually having variables for the FTP credentials/location too but I've kept it simple here just to demonstrate the technique.

set variable [$file_name; GetAsText(YourTable::YourContainerField)]

set variable [$path_temp; Get(TemporaryPath) & $file_name]

set variable [$path_unix; Middle($path_temp ; Position($path_temp ; "/" ; 1 ; 2) ; Length($path_temp))]

set variable [$script; "do shell script "curl -T " & $path_unix & " ftp://USERNAME:PASSWORD@FTP_HOST/FTP_DIRECTORY/" & $file_name &"""]

Export Field Contents [YourTable::YourContainerField; "$path_temp"]

Perform AppleScript [$script]

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

NOTE FOR FUTURE VIEWERS OF THIS THREAD:

The script as-is may not work since as of FileMaker 12 GetAsText(containerField) returns more than just the filename. You may have to look for and remove additional text such as "remote:"

• 3 months later...

Simple - and did just what it is supposed to do!

FMPro 13 allows easier extraction of the container file name, by using the GetContainerAttribute function:

GetContainerAttribute ( GetContainerAttribute ( sourceField ; attributeName ) and substituting "filename" for "attributeName".

Other attributes can easily be read, too, as listed here:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11888/~/container-field-enhancements-in-filemaker

HOWEVER... I suspect that the "curl-T" command has problems with specific characters in the file name.

I have found that the script just hangs if the file name contains spaces, "&", or other such non-UNIX-friendly characters.

Is there a way to overcome this, and still preserve the original filename?

• 1 year later...
  • Newbies

Hi 

I am having trouble entering line 4 in the above script. The value of $script rejects the 'do shell script' as an unrecognised table.

How do we define the script in Filemaker 14

Am I missing something?

Edited by bmcintosh46

This topic is 3008 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.