Hello FMForums! Welcome to "How we Work"

chiyo

This topic is 4024 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

HowWeWork.png

My name is Chiyoko Yoshida and I'm a FileMaker Certified developer. I've been working with FileMaker since version 2 and I love it! 

I'd like to thank Stephen Dolenski and Steven Blackwell for setting up this forum! "How We Work" stems from a session I recently held at Pause on Error 2013 in Portland, Oregon. I had never held a session before nor have I hosted a forum conversation. So this is all new for me. I've had this topic bubbling in my thoughts for years. I finally bit the bullet and decided to jump in. I'm really inspired to better understand how we work as Developers. I'm fascinated by people's work flow and enjoy learning about how people do things. I hope this conversation can help us to harness the collective knowledge of our community, identify common patterns in the day, share our tools, improve our work environment and of course dig into some tips and tricks. The idea being we all learn from each other, keep fresh on things and share on things that work and the things that don't work. I think we all share the goal of getting through the day, producing high quality work with the greatest experience possible.

As I put together my presentation for POE 2013, I had to think about how I could start to discuss this with others. What are the big pieces of any given day and what are we doing? In order to talk about how we work we need to know who we are, the nature of our environments, our teams/s or lack there of, what kind of work do we do, how do we do the work and with what tools? Pretty huge topic! So, to start I came up with these buckets of things I think we all do daily and some patterns we repeat when doing things. For each bucket and pattern there are tools we use and methods or processes we do to accomplish 'things'. 

The Buckets = the things we do each day
  • Communicate
  • PPP = Focus (PPP = Prepare, Plan, Prioritize)
  • Schedule
  • Build Libraries of Resources
  • Work
  • Learn / Inspiration
  • Challenges

The Patterns = the series of actions we take to do things each day
  • Search
  • Review
  • Action
  • Document
  • Refresh/Tranistion

So, with this in mind or as a framework to work within, I will throw some topics out there. Everyone is welcome to join in.

Thank you for stopping by.

Sincerely,
Chiyoko

This topic is 4024 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.