Remote Storage

This topic is 3543 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This may be posted in the wrong section, but was unsure where else to post it!

The current situation is:

FMP database hosted via FMS
Network storage
Need to open/view the files in network folder via Explorer/Finder
Works fine

Need:
To have the 'network storage' be online so can be accessed outside the network

Does anybody have any tips on the best way to achieve this? They are looking to use MS Sharepoint, but I am not familiar with that either.

Thanks in advance :)

FMP database hosted via FMS

Network storage

Need to open/view the files in network folder via Explorer/Finder

Can you expand on that a bit?  How do you have it deployed?

Hosted FM files should NEVER be available through Explorer/Finder.  It is the #1 cause for file corruption.

Same applies to the remote container feature.

Can you expand on that a bit?  How do you have it deployed?

Hosted FM files should NEVER be available through Explorer/Finder.  It is the #1 cause for file corruption.

Same applies to the remote container feature.

Sorry, they are not used in the filemaker system at all - there are buttons to open the network drive folder, etc. and then the files can be opened. They are word documents, excel sheets, etc.

I would strongly advise against exposing that kind of OS-level sharing to the internet.  Make the users connect through a VPN and then those buttons will work just like they do now because the users will already be *inside* your network.

I would strongly advise against exposing that kind of OS-level sharing to the internet.  Make the users connect through a VPN and then those buttons will work just like they do now because the users will already be *inside* your network.

Thanks for your advice.

I am inexperienced at VPN - do you have any recommended reading on how to setup, etc. to meet my needs?

Thanks.

• 7 months later...

I don't know if you've found a solution to this but for anyone else that searches, you'll need to setup a vpn server, obtain a static IP address or dynamic DNS, configure your router and server's network settings.  Then depending on which operating system is used, you may need to install a 3rd party vpn client program to establish a VPN connection.  Once that connection is established, it will be like you are directly connected to your target network, which means you can then access any resources on that network, given you have the credentials and permissions.

An example would be to VPN at home back to your work computer in the office.  Then you'll remotely connect to your computer so that you'll access it as if you're sitting in front of it.  From there you can access any files and shared folders, etc, that you normally access.

This topic is 3543 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.