Seven Days and counting (LogMeIn cancels free service)

Ocean West

This topic is 3652 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I just found out that LogMeIn is canceling it's free offerings by way of notice seven days after you next login, and to continue you must pay

up.

I have purchased the Ignition software for the iPad according to their blog they say they will give these users more discounts to switch

to the subscription model.

LogMeIn was the easiest way to remote into a computer with out doing any modifications to your firewall and you could target any 

computer behind the firewall - in the past we could do so with Timbuktu or other software but that required modifying port numbers or

first connecting via VPN.

I have had times were using Apple Remote Desktop would stop responding but using LogMeIn would kick something forcing ARD to work again.

Most of my clients' are using it per recommendation and most servers that I had setup have it running just incase I need to do remote support.

I haven't even looked at what the new plan will end up costing.

So I am looking for alternatives free or near free - if they work better I'd just assume to switch as way of voicing a protest to LogMeIn for the failure to provide adequate means of notice of how they are changing their entire service and pricing model - i mean really - seven days after you next log in?!

I've tested a few. I'm currently using TeamViewer, the free personal version. But it's not free for commercial use.

UltraVNC works well...but I believe it's windows only. ( it's open source and GPL friendly )

TigerVNC is based on the same code as UltraVNC, but I've not tested that one. But it is Mac-friendly also. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TigerVNC

There is a long list here. You have to do some digging to see what is free/OS compatible. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software

• 2 months later...

Do you work for them? $19.95/month <> next to free.  :grad:

Unlimited connections is nice and it may be a good service...but that is still ~$240/yr.

Yeah, its bad news that logmein free is going away,. I simply loved it, but now as the free version is going away, I have found another alternative service: GoSupportNow. It is easy to use and costs only $19.95 / month, next to free.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.