Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Popovers as User Friendly Dialog Boxes

This topic is 3745 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I like it! I'm going popover crazy here.

Why did you go this route rather than a Custom Dialog. You feel it's a bit more "user friendly" and more in keeping with the UI design?

a standard dialog box opens on the screen in random location that is not where the user clicked, and some times opens on the OTHER monitor.

Clicking a button the feedback is controlled and instant adjacent to where the user clicked.

Adding triggers can pre or post do actions in addition to any other input (fields or buttons) while the popover was open.

the actions could also appear to be dynamic by adding minimal slide control panels and target them as the popover is opened.

Although you can add calculated label buttons on custom dialog boxes there still is a limit to the number of characters that are allowed.

Custom dialogs are whatever size the user set them to; and we can't script their size.

On a fresh install they will be the default (smallest) size.

On a previous version of FileMaker it is likely that you resized the dialog.

Hmm, not what I'm experiencing, Bruce. Let me be more specific. Show a Custom Dialog on Desktop and resize to adequate size. Move file to iPad and open in FMGo13. Dialog is quite narrow.

So +1 for the use of Popovers.

I wouldn't expect the GO dialog size to know anything about the Pro dialog size.

Just as I wouldn't expect the Pro dialog size on your computer to have anything to do with the Pro dialog size when the same file is viewed on my computer.

I see that the GO dialog resizes itself automatically for the content. Where the PRO dialog does not resize itself and it is easy to have invisible content if the message string is too large.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.