Transferring a file by Email

This topic is 3571 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a friend who has just switched from a PC to a new MacBook. We are having trouble transferring files between us.

When ever I send her an updated FileMaker Pro file, or whenever she returns it to me, the name changes, and it requires several steps to get it to open - like this:

1. We have an FMP file called PZF 6/28/14

2. One of us makes additions or corrections, and Emails it to the other

3. When downloaded, the file shows as a generic (blank page) documant, and is titled PZF 6_28_14

4. While downloading the receiving Mac asks if it should open the file with Text Edit or Font Book - naturally, the answer is "No"

5. To open the file, it is necessary to right click on it, select "Open with Other", then navigate to the FileMaker Pro application and select it

This is happening between two Macs, running OS 10.8, and both having identical versions of FileMaker Pro 11.

Why doesn't the file come through as sent?

Maybe this is the wrong Forum for this question - any assistance in redirecting it is appreciated.

Try renaming the file without slashes, these can be special system characters in many situations.

So rename the file to PZF 6_28_14 (or any other name without slashes, using save as in fm or the OS).

Then try the email and make sure that fm is closed when you do this, otherwise you are risking corruption of the file.

You could easily test this by emailing it to yourself.

HTH

Singo

This topic is 3571 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.