Pie chart not showing frequency

kbeiderman

This topic is 3455 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello, I have been given a project to create pie charts for a co-worker. We are in a K-8 school where she wants to chart her teacher observations and show her staff the data from the observations. So, for instance she wants to see how many 1s, 2s, 3s, 4s, and 5s she is giving for each of her indicators of teacher effectiveness. Therefore, the table we have set up has a record for each teacher and then 24 different indicators. Ideally, we will end up with 24 different pie charts which will show the frequency of which my co-worker assigns each number from the rubric.

Now, here's my problem. The pie charts not combining like numbers. For example, one indicator "Engages students in learning" has the following frequencies: 

score of 5:  0 teachers

score of 4:   1 teacher

score of 3:   2 teachers

score of 2:  2 teachers

score of 1:  0 teachers

score of 0:  0 teachers

I would expect the pie chart to have combined the frequency of scores so a score of 4 would be 20% of the pie, a score of 3 would be 40% and and a score of 2 would be 40%. I would then want it to adjust as more teachers get records.  However, this is not what is happening. Instead I have a score of 4= 29%, 3=21%, 3= 21%, 2= 14%. 2=14%.

I have done some searching on this forum and others and saw something about sorting, but the problem is that each indicator (field) has its own chart, so I do not think I could keep a sort in tact and not affect the other charts.

My co-worker who is using this database has no tech background at all and this needs to be fully automated for her use. I am using Filemaker Pro 12 and am relatively new to this, especially charts. I will take any advice you may have to offer. I am having trouble attaching a copy of my DB to this. I don't know why. Thank you! Kim

Before you can chart frequencies, you must have a frequency value. For this purpose, create a summary field sCount, defined as Count of [TeacherID] (or of any other field that cannot be empty). Then set your chart to use Teachers::SomeIndicator as the Label Data, and Teachers::sCount as Value Data. Records must be sorted by the SomeIndicator field for this to work.

Ideally, we will end up with 24 different pie charts

All together? That's going to be very difficult, if not impossible with your current structure. Consider creating an individual record (in a related table) for each score.

This topic is 3455 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.