Email sales ticket

gary29422

This topic is 3216 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I create a sales ticket in FMP11 and then print the sales ticket out for my customer.  I have a layout for the sales ticket.  I'd like to be able to give my customer the option for me to email this sales ticket to their email address.  I already have a field for their addredss in my layout.  How can I email a one page form?  I use Windows Live Mail 2011 on a PC.

Automatic message

This topic has been moved from "FileMaker Pro 11" to "Email”.

The General Topic areas are for the discussion of the new tools, features and functions that were introduced with that version of FileMaker and not for asking how-to questions.

If you have any questions about this action, please contact me by Private Topic

You can create a file with the Save Records as PDF script step. Use a variable to define the file path for the PDF, and then use that same variable to define the email attachment path.

Windows Live Mail is not a supported email client. You can try it. If it won't work, you could use SMTP mail, or there are several plugins that work very well.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Oh, that's handy - I thought the pdf save file path had to be written in by hand. (i.e. Hard written in)

Does it have to be a variable or will it work with a field or calculation in that file path box?

Edited by MikeKD

It has to be a variable, or variables. E.g., let's say you have two variables, $folder and $file. You could combine them in a $path variable, and use $path in the Specify Output dialog. Or you can use "$folder/$file" directly.

The latter option is handy, but on the down side it only shows $file in the script listing so it's not obvious what's happening unless you look in the dialog.

Thanks Fitch, that's handy. I'll give your latter method a go for varieties sake.

I haven't got it working yet with a $path variable, but suspect it's to do with the file path itself - it works when I use the dialogue to input it directly, but not in a variable yet.

I'll get there, thanks for the hint!

Mike

If you're building the file name with a calc or field, don't forget the file extension.

Try Get ( DesktopPath ) & "/" & "myFile.pdf" for example.

Ah, I had forgotten the extension.

It still doesn't work, but I haven't tried the Get ( DesktopPath ) yet - I can use that to help narrow down what I'm doing wrong.

At the moment I've got

"/Users/mikekentdavies/Dropbox/KJA Music Library/Set Lists/"
&
Gig::Date
& 
"_"
 & 
Gig::Gig Name
&
".pdf"

Thanks!

Mike

What Tom is saying (a bit cryptically): in an OS path, watch out for (i.e. Substitute()) non-allowed characters, namely the "/" and ":" that you get from dates and timestamps, but which may also lurk in your other data.

Edited by eos
  • Like 1

Thanks, eos -- typically I would spell it out as you did, but Mike seems like he enjoys figuring things out. So I was purposely being a bit cryptic.

Mike, don't forget, the Data Viewer is your friend. You can preview the results of your calc there without having to run through a script to test it.

• Like 1

Thanks both!!

Finch was right, I felt I was pretty close (i.e., I'd taken spaces out of the gig title in case that was the problem). It does work fine without the date (which had ":" as separators.)

Mind, it was also nice to see EOS clarify what I'd figured, and I guess that could be useful if someone else has the same brain fade as me!

Cheers chaps :-)

Mike

This topic is 3216 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.