help nesting <xsl:for-each>

bdale65

This topic is 3287 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I suspect this is an easy solve

I am trying to nest a <xsl:for-each> loop within another <xsl:for-each> and getting a blank field in my resulting FMP table for one of them ( ie the Release ID ) within my example, the other 3 fields work ok. Could someone please look at the sample xml & xslt files and see if I can be pointed in the right direction ?

I am creating a FMP solution for a historical research project for work ( a musical history radio show ) and I am importing a huge xml file from the Discogs ( music collection ) website - they kindly provide a monthly dump of their xml data, and it must be said their xml / schema is a total mess. I am reorganising it into various related tables of my own ( thus coming up something slightly more usuable ).

The example xml is a heavily edited version of the original Discogs xml.

I will be relating a Releases table to a Tracklist table via a Release ID.

I have another xslt file ( not included ) which grabs other data shown the xml into a Releases table ( eg Release ID, Artist ID, Name, Label, Year, etc etc ) and that works a treat.

I am having trouble creating the Tracklist table ( ie no Release ID goes into that field via my shoddy xslt file )

I am sure I have confused you...but maybe not :)

testrelease6.xml

transform_releases_test6b.xslt

If I understand correctly what you're trying to do, you should replace the <RESULTSET> part of your stylesheet with:

<RESULTSET>
	<xsl:for-each select="releases/release/tracklist/track">
		<ROW>
			<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="../../@id"/></DATA></COL>
			<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="position"/></DATA></COL>
			<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="title"/></DATA></COL>
			<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="duration"/></DATA></COL>
		</ROW>
	</xsl:for-each>
</RESULTSET>

(The indentation is unessential, but it helps in understanding.)

This gets the value from the @id attribute of the grandparent node of the current node - that is the <release> of the current <track>. It is not necessary to use another <xsl:for-each> for this purpose.

CAVEAT: XSLT is very context-dependent; what works for "a heavily edited version of the original", may not work for the original.

• Newbies

Yes, thanks, works a treat - I knew about the parent / child concept but not the grandparents, but get it now.

I know what you mean about the XML I only edited it as an example to post here - the original that I downloaded from Discogs extracted to a monster 17gig xml, with everything thrown into the one xml, a big seething mass of data.

I am systematically going through all this and breaking it into smaller ( related ) tables and creating different xslt files to extract what I need for each table.

Thanks for helping me out !

This topic is 3287 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.