Portal filtering and GetSummary

Stu412

This topic is 3206 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've got some strange behaviour on portals which are used to regularly display data from different years.  Each record of data on the child table has a group number, a date, a year (derived from the date field) and a value and of course an FK_ID back to the parent.  There are multiple records per group.  In order to sum these up and use them for further maths and place them on the parent records, I summarise by group and then calculate a GetSummary, breaking by the year field.

At this point I will add this has worked perfectly for me up to now.

Recently, a need arose to be a bit smart with the portal and dynamically display the most recent year's data in a given portal.  Other portals display prior years.  To do this, I just created a calculation of Maximum=Max(Year) and filtered the portals by this, changing the filter calculation on each portal as needed (so Maximum-1 would be the previous years on the next portal, Maximum-2 the year before that etc).

That also worked well.

I've now added further data to my main data table, placed in into a numeric group, provided a summary and GetSummary calculation as per all the other records and this is not displaying at all.  

My GetSummary is breaking on the year field, same as all the others.  My portals are displaying all the other data when dynamically filtered, but they refuse to display the newly added data.  If I add a static year field to the filter, hey presto, the GetSummary data appears.

I would almost be tempted to say that you cannot use a calculated field to break a GetSummary, but I know this to be untrue as it's working elsewhere and I need to keep this as dynamic as possible without hard coding filtering into the portals.

Thanks in advance and apologies for the rambling, this is seriously frustrating me.

OK, so it seems that FM cannot filter a portal using a calculation which is based on a calculation etc.

Instead, I've used the max (year) calculation directly in the portal filter and now everything works fine.  It doesn't answer the question as to why the other figures previously in the portal remained there but the new ones didn't though - that remains a mystery to me.

This topic is 3206 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.