Can I make Portal data show in 2 columns?

This topic is 3186 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a report that shows a list of products. Sometimes it's 2 products, but sometimes its as much as 15. Is there anyways i can tell a portal to show across 2 columns? or setup a 2nd portal that reveals whatever is not shown in the first portal?

Edited by aeperri

Did you look into the “Portal Setup” dialog? It has options for initial row, number of rows and scroll bar yes/no, which should allow you to do what you asked for.

btw, if you want a report – presumably one to be printed – consider creating a list layout in the table of the portal records, which is a much more flexible approach than using portals.

Edited by eos
  • Like 1

• Newbies

Perhaps I do not know what the initial row is for? But so far with those settings I seem to be able to only control the # of ROWS, but not columns. Screen shot is how it currently views. I would like it to view like:

Product name 1    Price xxx              Product name 3   Price xxx

Product Name 2   Price yyy               Product name 4   Price zzz

Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 9.03.22 AM.png

Sometimes I need to post the question, to figure out my own answer! And you forcing me to figure out what initial row meant helped! i set up 2 portals - the 1st saying initial row 1, with max rows 6. The second with initial row 7, with max row 6. This way i can get at least 2 static products in 2 columns. Wish i could set it to auto fill rows based on spacing, but this should work for now.

Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 10.21.53 AM.png

Glad you figured it out but I want to stress what eos is saying here ... by printing portals, you limit yourself and complicate the situation whereas if you printed the report from the products table (which your original screenshot seems to indicate), it would be better because:

1. You say you can have as many as 15 products but what happens when the day comes (and I assure it probably will) where you add a 16th or 30th?  If you print instead from the Products table, each 'row' is a record which is more flexible.
  2. If you print your report from the Products table, you can specify the number of columns to print by, while in layout mode, selecting Layouts > Layout Setup > Printing.  You can view the results in Preview mode and printing or save as PDF will result in two columns also.

Portals are best used when you need to display records related to the parent record in browse mode.

"Wish i could set it to auto fill rows based on spacing, but this should work for now."

Printing from the Products table will make this part a piece of cake.  :-)

Edited by LaRetta

• Newbies

Thank you for the information Laretta- though my "report" is actually a summary of the vendor, the and this portal is simply showing which products that vendor is supplying. if i ran the report from products, i would then need to pull in the particular information from vendors into a product report.

if i ran the report from products, i would then need to pull in the particular information from vendors into a product report.

Right. So? It's just a matter of placing some fields from the Vendors table on the report layout.

This topic is 3186 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.