Is Java Security an Issue?

This topic is 3200 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm getting resistance from a client's IT vendor to opening ports 16000 and 16001 so that I can administer the client's server without having to remote access in using GoToMyPC. The IT vendor is concerned that FileMaker Server uses Java. I thought I remembered hearing that this was not the case beginning with 13, but I see that Java is still listed as a requirement.

So my question is two-fold:

Does Server 13/14 still need Java and use it as the interface into the Admin Console?

If so, and the most recent version of Java is installed, is this still a security issue?

Yes, the Admin Console still uses Java even in 14.  But at a much reduced amount compared to previous versions.  From what I've experienced and hearing from others in the know, the 'reduction' was to provide better stability, not so much because of security.  

I suppose that there will always be some kind of security issue(s) with Java, but this is on par with issues with Windows OS and a host of other software. Do they have any specific examples of this so called security issue, or are they making a blanket statement without any references?

Perhaps use a Remote Desktop Service instead?  

Edited by BrentHedden

Th IT vendor is making a blanket statement about opening ports for a service that uses Java. It's not a big enough issue for me to fight on. I can get in and do what's needed with GoToMyPC. I was mostly looking for clarification on Server 14's reliance on Java. Thanks.

This topic is 3200 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.