Printing cannot continue

mleiser

This topic is 3185 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I get this very often now, but with no rhyme or reason why. I print some single bills (tuition bills) out and then for no reason it doesn't print and I get this message:

Printing cannot continue because this printer is not connected to a port (which is definitely is, I don't have this issue with other software, only filemaker). Use the control panel to set up a port.

I have to shut down filemaker and reopen my software and then it starts working again for a while and then for no reason, again, it gives me the same error message until I close it again.

Using FM12. HELP!!!

When you get this issue, can you then still print with other software? If not, then the culprit is likely printer (driver) related. Have you tried updating the print drivers? It may be that FM uses print commands that are not fully supported on your printer driver, or that the command is buggy in your printerdriver.

Another thing you can also try is removing the printer (including drivers) and reinstalling it. It's been a long time since I was on XP so can't guide you through the exact process, but googling should provide you with plenty information.

Tried those things without success. I forgot to mention that I had changed, a number of months ago, to a Windows 7 OS.

Just got it again. Got out of filemaker (when I go back into filemaker after exiting it works again). But first I tried a word document. It worked fine for the word document while giving me the same message for the fm document. I updated the printer, etc. Again, I'm on Windows 7. Any help would be appreciated. It's really annoying

Here's a post from FileMaker for print troubleshooting: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5595/~/printing-troubleshooting-guide. It's a fairly comprehensive document.

Also, if the issue points towards FileMaker, then you could call FM support to lend a hand. And as their document states at the end: 

"If you get to the end of this troubleshooting checklist and you have not resolved your printing issue, it is possible you have discovered an issue that FileMaker, Inc. is not aware of. If this is the case, it is recommended that you contact FileMaker Customer Support and provide them the information that you gathered during your troubleshooting."

This topic is 3185 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.