Server Maintenance This Week. ×

RemoteScripter PDF works in Filemaker, but not webdirect

This topic is 2838 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Here's what I did.  I copied the Demo table, scripts, and even the layout items and pasted it all into my solution, which is called "Intakeform".  I related the Demo table to my main table by creating a field called personal_ID in the Demo table, and relating that to my Personal Info table via agreement_ID.

What I'm trying to do is create PDFs on webdirect.  The only difference between what I'm trying to do, and the Demo database from 360Works is that I want to navigate to multiple layouts, save them all as PDFs and then append them to one PDF, and have it show up in the container field.

I have that working in Filemaker Pro Adv, hosted remotely, and local to my machine.

For testing purposes, I Filemaker Server running on my local machine.  I am planning to move it to my hosting environment at Foxtail tomorrow.

When I click the button on webdirect, nothing happens.  When I click the button on Filemaker, it collects the layouts, saves them to PDF, and it shows up in the container field, without fail.

I'm wondering if the problem is the port.  I am going to try to hard code that, instead of getting it from the port field in the Demo table.

Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 8.53.31 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-07-17 at 8.51.54 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-07-17 at 8.51.12 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-07-17 at 8.48.59 AM.png

So this is what I am attempting:  hardcoding the port.

Changed above IWP_Generate PDF script to hardcode port.

RemoteScripterTrigger( Get(HostIPAddress) ; //We assume that FileMaker Pro client is running on the same computer as IWP, but this could also be the address of a separate processing computer

7244 ; //Selected port number. Needs to match the port number that the plugin was started on in FileMaker Pro Client "param" //It is possible to put anything here, which will be sent to the script as a script parameter  )

And then I'm restart the plug-in on localhost.

timothy$ fmsadmin restart wpe -y

timothy$ fmsadmin restart fmse -y

timothy$ netstat -a | grep 7244

tcp4       0      0  *.7244                 *.*                    LISTEN     

Marthas-MacBook-Pro-2:~ timothy$ 

Still no luck.

Webdirect first click, nothing shows up.

Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 9.19.15 AM.png

In filemaker pro, everything works as expected:

Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 9.20.35 AM.png

Then in webdirect, we see the attachment in the container:

Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 9.23.00 AM.png

I need to make this work in webdirect alone.

Edited by Timothy Ackerman
forgot one thing

The first thing that strikes me is that you do no error trapping whatsoever.  So start there.  Trap and log the error along the way at every crucial step, then inspect the log to see where it goes wrong.

Especially when dealing with WebDirect, Server-sided scripts or the likes, error trapping is essential since there is no 'face' to tell you what went wrong or where it stopped at.  What Wim is suggesting is very practical, I would say necessary.  In addition to or in place of a log, I temporarily use the send mail feature to myself at certain stop points as well.

I'm using this same plugin for creating PDFs through Webdirect and a few server-sided scripts.  So I know what you are trying to do is very possible.   I use a dedicated 'robot' machine instead of the IWP server, but what you are doing should work.  Have you ensured that the port you're using isn't blocked by a firewall (software or hardware)?  You can use a packet sniffer to ensure that the port is being used corrected from the client side.  

This topic is 2838 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.