Setting default sort of multiple fields for list view

This topic is 2833 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I have created a report in list view that uses a sub summary report and is sorted on a key field.  I would then like this report to be sorted by two additional field (first one, then the other) in the body of each sub-summary report.  I am new to filemaker and I cannot find anywhere a sort dialogue that will allow me to setup a default sort by multiple fields (such as the "Sort Portal Records" dialogue that will allow me to add multiple fields to define a sort).   The solution I am in creating is targeted to non-filemaker users and they will not have access to the status bar - I need to perform the sort when the layout is first viewed.  I can't believe the standard list view layout does not have a default sort that I can setup.  For now, I have created a script that will, when the layout is displayed, sort the records based on the field I have identified for the sub summary report; however, I have not found a function that will then allow me to refine the sort within the sub-summary report.  Also, there does not seem to be a scripting function that will allow me to setup sorts on multiple fields.  The only way it appears to do this is within the toolbar during find mode - which does not work for my solution.

Am I missing something obvious?  How do I setup the default sorting on multiple fields in list view (just like I can for a portal).

Thanks.

Edited by Sedawk

You are correct - just moving to the layout won't sort.

You can attach a script to the layout that gets triggered OnLayoutEnter that can do the sort  - in Layout Mode, Layout Setup - Script Triggers

And you can do multi-sorts - the Sort Records script step works the same as Apple+S or the toolbar

See attached

Screen Shot 2016-07-18 at 11.23.58 am.png

Screen Shot 2016-07-18 at 11.22.59 am.png

This topic is 2833 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.