Comparing Layouts in a file.

This topic is 2351 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

So I'm new to this tool and have what may be a simple question. How do I best compare the differences between two layouts in the same file? I duped a layout and made some changes and now I want to compare this newly worked on layout to the original. I'm finding that somewhat more problematic than imagined.

Any ideas/experience?

Thanks

Edited by Skin the Cat

Currently, the diff tool is not designed for that use case.  It kind of depends upon the kinds of changes you're interested in examining....

Option 1: Open the same DDR twice.  You can open a new DDR browser, and point it at the same DDR again.  Then, you can have 2 windows that are both looking at the same file, but at different layouts.  This is still a visual comparison, but it does also give you access to the information in the Detail if that helps.

Options 2: You can save (for example) the list of layout objects from each layout to a CSV.  Then, you can compare those two files.  Personally, I use BBEdit when doing there, but there are all sorts of text-file-to-text-file diff tools.  Granted, this won't tell you if one of the objects was resized, but it'll get a lot of the large, functional elements.  You could also dump both CSVs into FileMaker and create something more fiddly comparison-wise, depending upon what you're trying to find.

If these won't help, perhaps some more details about what you hope to find in your comparison would be helpful.

Dave Ramsey

• Newbies

Option 1 sounds good, I did a number of things like option two before devcon using bbedit to compare the xml nodes for the two layouts; not that productive.

I would be great to have the diff tool compare any two valid xml nodes... which in no way takes away from the awesomeness of the tool.

I did try the FileMaker opening csv exports, but it would need two exports for each of the layout categories, and I think the time would be too long going that route.

Basically, something happened on one layout that causes a significant delay when popovers close for the first time. So I am going way old school and removing massive sections on copies until the delay is found....

Thanks for the thoughts.

Edited by Skin the Cat

• 1 year later...

This topic is 2351 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.