Server Maintenance This Week. ×

IP address works for client access but not for WebDirect

This topic is 2795 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

There are two IP addresses I use to access my FM solution on FM Server -- for the first, I need to be connected to my company's VPN and for the other I don't. However, I'm only able to access the file via WebDirect using the one with VPN, but not the other. 

xxx.16.xx.36/fmi/webd -- requires VPN and works.

xx.xxx.118.36/fmi/webd -- non-VPN and doesn't work.

Any insights into why only one of these IP's works for Webdirect while they both work for client access?

Thanks, Mo

Firewall / port forwarding most likely.

Sounds like port 5003 for regular client access is open on the firewall but not ports 80/443

As an aside: FMI is pushing a big push on security, with that comes focus on securing the connection with SSL certificates.  In that light you should not make connections to IP addresses but to fully qualified domain names.

Thank you for your response, just seeing this today. To open ports 80/443, would I contact my IT department and/or is there anything I should do in Filemaker Server configuration? Thanks again.

Edited by mbarrett65

1 hour ago, mbarrett65 said:

Thank you for your response, just seeing this today. To open ports 80/443, would I contact my IT department and/or is there anything I should do in Filemaker Server configuration? Thanks again.

You might check the firewall on the OS first. For example, in Windows Server, you need to allow inbound traffic on those ports, so create a rule for filemaker that allows all the needed ports. You can do this in one rule if you like, allow 80, 443, 5003 separated by commas. If those are allowed, then you can also check the ports that are configured in FM Server. In recent versions, it asks you to specify when deploying, but the defaults are 80 and 443 unless you changed them.

If those work local, but not from the outside, then it is likely a routing config that needs changed, port forwarding or otherwise.

To Wim's suggestion, setting up DNS would also make this easier and if you set up both internal and external DNS you could access it from the same domain name regardless of where you are :)

Mike

This topic is 2795 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.