Enter data in a field in one table and automatically enters data in a field in another table

This topic is 2787 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I would like to post data in a field in one table, and automatically post the same data in a field in a different table.

I don't even know where to start:

Each table has the same fields in it.

Edited by Lee Smith
removed formatting

• Newbies

We have a data loader table  (QUE) that information is loaded into until it is inspected for accuracy. then the data is removed after it is approved and sent to inventory.

we have had two cases that information was removed accidentally from the QUE, and there is no redo button to press.

My thoughts were to automatically create an archive by automatically entering the data into a QUE_backup table as it is entered originally in the QUE.

The QUE backup table would hold the data a rolling 7 days then delete it automatically.

I know how to do all that, but i don't know how to simultaneously enter data in two tables.  OR, you might have a better idea.

The QUE uses radio fields to press when the items are reviewed for approval (YES). There is a script that looks for the (YES) in the radio button field and copies the approved data to the inventory table.

Edited by dansan500

38 minutes ago, dansan500 said:

we have had two cases that information was removed accidentally from the QUE, and there is no redo button to press.

I don't fully follow your description, but if you don't want records to be accidentally deleted, then deny users the privilege to delete them.

--
P.S. Please don't format your posts - the default settings are already difficult enough to read.

Edited by comment

I suggest you try to explain it a bit better, Dan.  There is nobody who reads a post more precisely than Comment.  And there is NOBODY in FileMaker better at figuring out issues than Comment.  If you have paid any attention at all, he has the highest positive ratings by 1,000-fold over anyone else.

We DO realize it can be difficult to explain a situation.  Even I, after working in this business full time for over 12 years, can have trouble explaining a complex situation so do not give up in trying to explain it.  And please show a bit more respect to those trying to help; your dismissive response was uncalled for.

You can start by responding to Comment's suggestion.  If using Security does not solve the issue, why not?  We are not mind-readers here although Comment comes pretty close most times.  :)

• Like 1

This topic is 2787 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.