New records created through portal not appearing in actual table

Becca

This topic is 2785 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm very new to FileMaker design, so I may be missing something very basic, but I cannot figure out how to make this work.  I've got a working portal set up, showing the correct records.  I can add new records using the blank line in the portal, and those records then show in the portal window.  However, if I go look at the actual table that the portal links to, the new records are not being added there.  Are they going somewhere else instead? I need to actually create new records, not just display them!

Screenshot.jpg

Hi Becca and welcome to the FM Forums,

I think we need more information about your file in order to help you trace this out. Why not attach a copy of the file, You can do this in a couple of ways.

Save a copy of the file, and Remove the confidential information and then drag that onto a Reply.

Save a no - record clone of the file and drag that onto a Reply.

Lee

2 hours ago, Becca said:

if I go look at the actual table that the portal links to, the new records are not being added there.

Perhaps they are just omitted from the current found set in that layout? I cannot figure out what your screenshots are supposed to show.

• Newbies

The screenshot is showing the portal in my primary layout view on the bottom, and the linked table opened in a separate view on the top.  The new record I created within the portal is circled in red; it has not been created in the linked table.  I haven't limited the table view by searching, and I've tested exporting that table and checking to see if it's in the export; it is not.

7 minutes ago, Becca said:

I haven't limited the table view by searching

The top screenshot shows that 235 records are found, out of 238 records in total. So you have 3 omitted records that are not shown.

7 minutes ago, Becca said:

I've tested exporting that table and checking to see if it's in the export; it is not.

That's a useless test, because only the current found set is exported.

Just select Show All Records from the Records menu and see what happens.

• Newbies

Thank you - it was just hiding the record. I apologize for being obtuse - I didn't initiate a search of any kind, and I had not had the table open prior to creation, so it didn't occur to me that it might have hidden the new records automatically.

This topic is 2785 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.