Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Committing/Validating Data in a Portal

Courtney

This topic is 2760 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a time entry layout based on my Personnel table, with a portal to a related Timesheet table. Several of the fields in the Timesheet table are validated for "not empty" (aka, they are required fields)

When users add several timesheet records in the portal without committing after each record, if validation fails on any record, it gives them the error message:

"FieldName" is defined to require a value, but is not available on this layout. Use another layout to assign a value to this field.

(And of course, if they revert, they lose ALL their uncommitted records, not just the one that failed validation.)

These fields ARE on the layout, but via portal and a relationship, so I suspect the validation is looking for field "Timesheet::Role" from the primary data table and not "PersonnelTimesheet::Role" from the relationship graph.

My real problem, I guess, is that users have no feedback as far as which of their entries is failing validation.

And I guess the REAL real problem is that I can't figure out how to force commit/validation as they leave one portal row.

Is there a good way to solve either of these problems?

Do I need to use custom messaging for failing validation? Should I add this to script triggers on leaving each field instead? There are 11 fields visible in the portal, and 5 of them are required, with an additional 1 being required if other conditions are met.

Personally, I would rather have more control, and I don't like allowing creation of records by relationship - so I would make a popup that adds the time sheet entries that works directly in the Timesheet context - which also then allows you to use custom formatting to indicate fields that are required, and to trap for the validation entries when they try to commit an incomplete record.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2016 at 3:06 PM, webko said:

Personally, I would rather have more control, and I don't like allowing creation of records by relationship - so I would make a popup that adds the time sheet entries that works directly in the Timesheet context - which also then allows you to use custom formatting to indicate fields that are required, and to trap for the validation entries when they try to commit an incomplete record.

So, would this be a popup from my existing Personnel page then? They could view their records through the portal, but any edits or new records would be done via a popup where the layout is based directly on the Timesheet table?

I continue to have problems with validation, regardless of numerous script triggers to validate individual fields, so I may need to consider this.

This topic is 2760 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.