Calcs on Fields deeper in relationship

Harry

This topic is 2750 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

That's my point, the interchange of labels and names to try and find a middle ground where we can communicate correctly.

When Comment introduced the Widget and Gadget idea, I thought I had answered his question regarding that very directly and completely.

18 hours ago, comment said:

Now, you say that each stock item has a unique barcode?

16 hours ago, Harry said:

Yes, each StockItem has a unique barcode.

Or do all widgets have the same barcode, and all gadgets another one?

16 hours ago, Harry said:

Each Product has a barcode. Products table would have two Barcodes in it. StockItems would have two Barcodes in it, attached to the two products.

Or,

We make 100 x Model A and 100 x Model B. There are 200 'unique barcodes', 2 'product barcodes'.

Each Product / SKU has two codes on it. A Unique Code, and a Barcode.

If the barcodes are unique, you need to tell us how one can tell from reading the barcode if the product is a widget or a gadget.

Filemaker_Schema_Simplified.jpg

And you recognized, I hope, that your answer was then and still is so confusing that Comment, who is ENORMOUSLY capable of unraveling complexity, gave up after your "explanation".

And now you have just confused things further.

I recoginse that it's not explained fully, yes. I have stated that and then further asked for clarification on which questions weren't answered. You keep replying by telling me that it's not comprehensible. But of course, without knowing which bit is incomprehensible, I cannot try to communicate it in a less complicated fashion. Indeed, I tried, but it only served to further complicate the discussion. Therefore, as is obviously the case that my entire description and subsequent answers to critical questions do not serve to enlighten you and Comment, it is not unreasonable for me to suggest that smaller parts are discussed and agreed upon, rather than trying to communicate the entire problem. So i tried to take it question by question, you've stated that I'm not answering the question.

Although I see that the answer is confusing, i do not see how. I apologise.

How has my answer, above on this page, confused things further?

I've taken each individual question that Comment has asked and answered it fully, while still briefly. I understand there's confusion, but I can't see what I've written that is so confusing.

Thanks, Lee, for your input.

I think, if you read through my posts from the off, you might see that I've actually done pretty much all of the things stated in that topic. I probably have apologise too much; we have V13, V14, and V15, so my info could be updated.

Also remained pretty jovial given the 'Your database is crap and you need to start again' rhetoric in the responses received so far!

Comment has unravelled my posts many times before; if I scaled those against this one, I'd have to say this new post is massively less complicated. So from my point of view, i'm not sure what i've not answered or what i've not done that is producing the responses. Bruce is telling me that I'm not answering the questions, but I am really sure that I am. I ended up posting the question and then reposting my quoted answers, just to make sure that I had answered them; and I have. I thought.

Sorry that I haven't got all the wording and nomleclature correct. I'm sure if I did, I would probably be of greater understanding in this platform and perhaps, therefore, I wouldn't be on 'this' side; but rather, on yours.

Comment said:

"If the barcodes are unique, you need to tell us how one can tell from reading the barcode if the product is a widget or a gadget."

There is no reply from you below Comment's statement.

There is a statement from you ABOVE comment's statement:

"Each Product / SKU has two codes on it. A Unique Code, and a Barcode."

Is this the "reply"? A reply usually FOLLOWS a statement.

But we don't know what it means, it is a very confusing statement.

First of all, you appear to be talking about a Product; not a physical inventory item.

The PRODUCT has a Unique Code and a Barcode.

Previously you had identified the Barcode as strictly the "unique code".

So an SKU, presented as a bar code, has two pieces of information in it?

OR:

This statement is NOT about a product.

It is about a physical instance of a product: an inventory item.

And THIS has two codes? And they are in the barcode?

All of the above is an example of an attempt to get you to explain ONE of your sentences.

Ah, right, now *you're* making sense to me. 

Sorry the post wasn't formatted correctly; yes that was a reply.

When I say 'Product', and not in reference to 'Table Product', I'm talking about what you talk about as an Inventory Item. Yes. An actual product thing; something we make or sell. 

(Which brings a very interesting question - when I say 'Product', what are you thinking about, if not a product....?)

Anyway, to (hopefully now) clarify.

An Inventory Item has one Stock Code. 

An Inventory Item also has  one Barcode. The Barcode is a unique serial number designated to that particular individual instance of that Inventory Item, whether physical or not. Like a Primary Key, they are never repeated.

The Stock Code gets repeated and is shared amongst all the Inventory Items of the same variation, or SKU or Product Code or Stock Item or etc etc. All '15m Green Hoses with Nozzle. have StockCode 'SAME'.

And not to confuse things - but the stock code is, yes, represented as a barcode, too. in a lot of the system it's called 'Barcode' or similar....

That's why i don't put the file up; i'm not allowed to post it and it's quite confusing.

This thread has lost the little focus it never had...

@Harry

I suggest you take a look at the attached demo. It has three tables, which I believe are more or less equivalent to your three tables:

• the InventoryItems table is what you called StockTake;
  • the Units table is what you called Inspection;
  • the Products table is where the "more or less" part comes in: in my version, ProductCode is unique in this table; if this table becomes WorkOrders, this might not be true - see the note at the end.

The purpose of this file is to show:

1. how these tables need to be related,
  2. how to lookup the ProductCode into the InventoryItems table, and - most importantly:
  3. how to get the Products table to show the count of the product's units on the selected date.

Note that the count is by ProductCode. If you work with work orders, and each work order has its own unique ProductCode, then each work order will only count its own units - even though there may be other units of the same product, made under a different work order.

Note also the assumption that an inventory count is performed on a single date (not crossing midnight).

InventoryByDate.fp7

Edited by comment

This topic is 2750 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.