Duplicate Fields with Button

Davidarnarg

This topic is 2718 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Attention: Before posting in the general discussion forum please review the other forums that would best suit your topic.
If you cannot find one then you may delete this text and post your topic in this forum.

Hi there, I'm doing a little project and though it would be very simple but.. 

The things is, that I have a form and I would like to duplicate all of the fields in the form using a button and enter them below the others.

I tried to create couple of scripts but I think i'm doing something wrong. I did a research here but I didn't find anything that could help me. 

333.PNG

Hi David, welcome to FMForums!  :-)

Scripts do not run in layout mode so you cannot copy/paste ( duplicate ) a group of fields onto a layout either.  As Comment says, you probably observed creating another record.  In your example, you would want to use List View and make the body smaller ending just below the other set of fields.  Then in browse mode, create a second record.

If you DO want duplicate fields within that same body ( while in layout mode ) then you can encircle the group of fields, then 'copy' and then 'paste' below but it is a manual process.  

I suggest that you reduce the size of the body as suggested and then attach script step of New Record to that button.  Then in browse mode, see if it gives the results you wish.

If you still can't get the results you want, you need to provide more information because you mention 'make another window' which doesn't make sense in this context.  We can help you work it out.

• Newbies

I have see other use a Portal tool too create another window like it want to. 

But I don't understand how it works, I have been trying to figure it out but all of the field just gets disabled now.

Now you maybe understand completely what I mean :) I need a another window like this soon as I select a date.  

12121212.PNG

Nr.1.PNG

Nr2.png

It would help to explain what you want ( using words ) but I'll try with what you have presented:  You currently have 'allow creation on' in your relationship to that portal because it creates a new 'empty' record at the bottom.  In that case, if I understand correctly, all you have to do is type into the fields and a new related record is created.  

In your last screenshot, you currently have two records and a third 'empty row' in which to add another related record.  Can you not type into those other fields?  Are they of a different relationship than the date?  If you can't type into those other fields then see what their table occurrence name is (it will say on the portal) and go to your graph and find that table occurrence.  Open the link between it and its parent and make sure at the bottom that 'allow creation' is checked.  

I do not understand how 'new window' plays into this and I suspect ( as does Comment ) that you do not mean 'new window' but again, you mean 'new record' in a portal.  Windows do not "pop below the other".   I suggest that you attach your file or explain a bit more if this isn't helpful.  

Edited by LaRetta

David

I sent you a Private Message Wednesday at 01:29 PM and I just checked and you have NOT read it yet. The message has information that you need to know.

Please read it now.

Lee

5 hours ago, Davidarnarg said:

I have see other use a Portal tool too create another window like it want to. 

But I don't understand how it works, I have been trying to figure it out but all of the field just gets disabled now.

Now you maybe understand completely what I mean :) I need a another window like this soon as I select a date.  

Not I. Maybe you should read about Relationships, and Portal Record creation. Start with Creating portals to display related records

• Newbies

I took a video of a form that I want mine to be exactly like

Here !

We use this to form to write down date and work that we put into each company we worked for. So when I hit new record I write the company name "Unnið fyrir" and then I select the days I work for them. Everytime I select new date a new row pop down below like you see in the video, most I can create is 4 og those rows.. So if I worked more then 4 days for this company then I create a new record again. 

Do you understand what I mean here ? :)

You are in Form View, why aren’t you using related records and a portal?

Did you look at the example (Start Solutions)? There a few that may do what you want. Look at Time Billing, Contacts, Tasks, etc.

I took a video of a form that I want mine to be exactly like

Are you able to enter Layout mode on the file shown in the video? If you can, I believe you'll see it is a portal with 4 rows.

most I can create is 4 og those rows.. So if I worked more then 4 days for this company then I create a new record again. 

That's not a good solution. You should be able to enter as many child items as necessary, without having to create a new parent record. A portal can be defined to show a scroll bar in order to enable this.

This topic is 2718 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.