Auto expanding text box that users can't modify

This topic is 2711 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello everyone.

Pretty sure you guys are going to tell me to rework some things here but I've got a seemingly simple question. I have a database which has a layout that's view only, I don't want the user to modify the data. In any case, one of the fields is a description text field and on some of the records, the text is larger than can fit on the view of this layout. Normally, if you click a field, it will show the scroll bars to allow you to view all the text but because we are not allowing entry to the field, clicking has no effect. Is there any solution, short of making the description field larger on the layout?

Thank you,

DM

There are several options that come to mind:

1. Allow entry into the field, but deny users the privilege to edit it. This should be in place in any case, if you really don't want them to modify the data at all. Alternatively (or in addition), you could use a script trigger to reject any attempt to edit the field;

2. Use a calculation field to display the contents of the description field;

3. Use a web viewer to display the contents of the description field.

Another possibility might be to display the field contents as a tooltip. You can see the full contents when you hover over the field. But you can't click into the field and copy, and you may prefer that the user not have to hover to see everything.

That's for the advice! Two EXCELLENT suggestions:

Setting a new field to show a calculation works like a champ. I think this is my fix!

The tooltip works pretty well too...is there any way to control how LONG you have to hover before the tooltip pops?

Thank you both!

DM

This topic is 2711 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.