unstored calculations inventory performance

This topic is 2716 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

i would like to ask if i will have performace issues in my inventory-invoice database for using unstored calculations ?  i choose unstored calculation to see real time inventory.

my database is products - invoices  hosted in filemaker server,  i have about 8 unstored calculations in each record im planning to use 200 products per semester and about 150 customers ... right now im not having troubles about performance but im worried in the future , i had read that having unstored calculations with many records it slows down your database.

what i have to do to prevent that ? better hardware for server? or changing structure of database? 

please let me know your opinions

thank you !

I recommend you should use script triggers to update the normal fields instead of using those unstored calculation fields.

I am recreating one old solution which is using hundreds of unstored calculation fields in a table which nearly has 2000 fields.

The system is really slow.

Yes, upgrading hardware is a good way, but for a long run, you have to reduce using unstored fields.

Regards,

Nhan

Edited by Nhan Doan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nhan Doan said:

I recommend you should use script triggers to update the normal fields instead of using those unstored calculation fields.

I'll echo the recommendation for the scripted approach - but with a caution about not overdoing the script triggers.  Where possible roll the field updates into the normal scripted flow. Script triggers have a tendency to fire even when you really wish they wouldn't and the extra maintenance can be a hassle.

• Like 2

This topic is 2716 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.