Email Alerts

This topic is 2717 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

My apologies in advance if I am posting in the wrong "room."

My brief history...I was more active forum user a while back using Filemaker V12. I now have Filemaker V15 and Server 15 and I am using filemaker cloud. Filemaker cloud is genius...and has now lead me down another road with some of my customers.

So I am building an extremely simple database where a customer of mine can log in, in a nutshell, just order something. It is not a "store," I am micromanaging event material that ships from one place, returns to me, ships out again, etc. This requires a live database. 

Here is my question.... so my customer logs in...has a "new event." I want a server email alert about it. Not a hoky poky script to make them email me. Is there like a background server email I can have generated, when they create this new event that will alert me that they created a new event?

Work flow: They Log in and set up an event with shipping details and tell me where to ship what to where, that part is super easy programming. I just want to know when they log on, and enter a "new event" how I can be notified (in the background) without them knowing and get a notification that this happened. I am at a loss for terminology about my request.

Thanks in advance...this community is amazing!

Lastly, I am using filemaker cloud through AWS if this is relevant to the answer.

Mike

Hi Mike

You can use the 'Send Mail' script step in your script, but rather than choosing the 'Send via Email client' option within the script step, choose 'Via SMTP client'. It's a popup option at the top of the 'Send Mail Options' dialog.

This 'silently' sends an email using FileMaker's built in SMTP capabilities, and the user has no idea it has happened. It won't appear in their 'Sent Mail'.

All you need is an SMTP email account and to enter the details for that into the script step.

Does that help?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rwoods said:

Hi Mike

You can use the 'Send Mail' script step in your script, but rather than choosing the 'Send via Email client' option within the script step, choose 'Via SMTP client'. It's a popup option at the top of the 'Send Mail Options' dialog.

This 'silently' sends an email using FileMaker's built in SMTP capabilities, and the user has no idea it has happened. It won't appear in their 'Sent Mail'.

All you need is an SMTP email account and to enter the details for that into the script step.

Does that help?

This will work and is easy enough to script. If you need an SMTP server and you're using AWS anyway, you can configure the SES (Simple Email Service) and send through there. No worries about configuring and establishing your own SMTP server and it is very reasonably priced. If mail volume is low enough and you have a new AWS account, it will likely fall under their free tier.

Mike

• Like 1

This topic is 2717 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.