Invoice Database Report Presentation

Sam0316

This topic is 2717 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello everyone, i am new to filemaker. I am developing an invoice database. Here is the situation.

My idea is creating 4 tables. Invoice table, invoice line item table, line items details table and a client's table.

the relationship are invoice-->invoice line item,    client-->invoice,   invoice line item<-- line item details table.

The layout should be something like the attachment.

The most difficult thing is the description part.

The invoice template of the client divide the description into several parts, for example, part one, part two and part three.

For example

Part one fruit

apple                               4        50

orange                             5         60

Part two Meats

chicken                           10      100

beef                                  2         50

My question is how could i present the data in this way, i have considered using portal, but one problem is if i use conditional value list

it might present like

fruit     apple   4    50

fruit    orange   5    60

meat   chicken    10   100

meat   beef           2      50

fruit, meat, apple are store in the line item details table.

so it may not be the layout the client's want.  Then i have another idea, so i need to have a summary report. The portal could be the data entry page. I need to create another layout for the reporting. then the report should be based on 1 client and using food catagory as the break field to present the data.

I am wondering is there any good method to present my data?

invoices-scanned.png

Well, I think the report layout should be based on line item tables and sub-summary part is based on line item details and sorted on food category.

Just an idea, hope it helps.

Another thing is that I think you should NOT use portal in a report like this because it will limit displayed data on it. Using it if you are know for sure there is a limit on displayed data.

Nhan

1 minute ago, Nhan Doan said:

Well, I think the report layout should be based on line item tables and sub-summary part is based on line item details and sorted on food category.

Just an idea, hope it helps.

Another thing is that I think you should NOT use portal in a report like this because it will limit displayed data on it. Using it if you are know for sure there is a limit on displayed data.

Nhan

Thank you. so you mean i should have a data entry layout first and then go to report layout and data sorted by food?

so the data should be specific to that customer? right

This topic is 2717 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.