Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Get(persistentid)

This topic is 2701 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

we are trying to implement a solution where we use a shared solution (only two computers) setup. How would I need to distinquish sales (invoices) from each machine. I think the Get(persistantId) would work but I thought I read that this function doesn't work in a shared environment. Only local versions of the file work for get(persistantid). I tried to implement this and it seems to be that's the way it is indeed..I set up a script to capture the id of the machine when the program is opened on and it does capture the id on the (host) main file but upon opening the remote (client) the script does not kick in. Any Ideas on how to implement this. Is there a way to have filemaker recognize that I am opening a remote file and to activate the script.  The host machine is only used for filemaker, there is other software on there but they only use it for hosting this file.  The machines are used as 1 in the kitchen and one in the lounge.  The lounge sends food orders to the kitchen printer.  I have to be able to distinguish between lounge sales and kitchen sales.  So i thought that if I capture the persistent id from the machine at the time of start up in the morning and store it for use thoughout the day, then for each sale used that value. 

DAve

I would create two separate accounts and auto-enter the account_created in the invoice record. That is, to open the file in the kitchen, i would login with the kitchen account.

4 hours ago, David Ford said:

I set up a script to capture the id of the machine when the program is opened on and it does capture the id on the (host) main file but upon opening the remote (client) the script does not kick in.

I don't understand your description of the problem. What exactly does the script do and what does "does not kick in" mean? Why is it even necessary to have a script? What happens if you simply auto-enter a calculated value of Get ( PersistentID ) into a text field?

Currently it captures the id when they startup the program then stores it in a $$variable that everytime a record is created it inserts it in a field, but as I am typing this a light went off as a result of your post...of course there is not need for that script.  Just everytime i new invoice is perform the calculation.  Then just do a report for sales based on the id..correct?

Dave

49 minutes ago, tbcomputerguy said:

Currently it captures the id when they startup the program then stores it in a $$variable that everytime a record is created it inserts it in a field,

So how did you determine that it doesn't work? Is the variable empty? Or does the auto-enter fail to enter it into the field? Do you even have an auto-enter on a field? You need to describe your process in much more detail.

50 minutes ago, tbcomputerguy said:

of course there is not need for that script.  Just everytime i new invoice is perform the calculation.

It's not really a calculation. It's just getting the same value directly from its source, instead of using a variable as an intermediary.

This topic is 2701 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.