scrumpto

Reviews and feedback of different hosting options?

1 post in this topic

I'm unsure where exactly to post this so I'll try it here. If there's a better place please move this but it seems to be the correct category.

I'm looking to setup hosting for a 15 member team who will be primarily accessing the database via WebDirect. However, I'd like to connect the solution to MySQL and open up parts of the database to 50 other users via Custom Web Publishing (php).

I'd appreciate any feedback on hosting companies who can handle some or all of the following: licensing, WebDirect, Custom Web Publishing and ODBC. I looked into FileMaker Cloud but it doesn't seem to be able to handle CWP. Someone mentioned today that you can go with AWS apart from Cloud and I'd love to hear feedback on that as well. Anything you guys can share on good and less than desirable solutions would be most appreciated.

Feel free to recommend your own company or PM me and tell me why I'll like working with you.

Thanks!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Answers
      We have had Filemaker 15 Server up and running of while but when we originally  installed it was installed on port 444 (because of our router configuration). We wanted to reinstall using port 443. So I uninstalled per instructions, uninstalling, bonjour, microsoft items, java etc... Rebooted our Windows Server 2012. Ran installer and got the error message the port 443 was not open. Rand netstat -a -o from command prompt, it said Filemaker 14/ on port 443 was listening (PID 768 and 4), So used skill to kill the PID. Rebooted, still unable to install Filemaker 15, port not open.
      Then went  into diagnostic mode, started the installer service. Installed successfully but then could not launch Filemaker server, could not even change firewall settings. So now we are restoring the server to the image backup. 
      Would like to uninstall and reinstall again tomorrow using port 443, any hints or tips on what to check before an uninstall and reinstall.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would call FM tech support but they are not available on the weekends.

• By ScottVan
      I may need to put my FM server in the but still retain the need to sync back to an internal Oracle db behind a corp firewall. Can MS support such a configuration? If not what would be required to make it work?
      Thanks
      Scott
    • By GEORGL03
      Good afternoon everyone,

Some BackStory:
      When FMCloud was first announced, I was ecstatic; I'm all for moving towards cloud technology for my agency. I was nearly there...about to pull the trigger and start a migration scheme from my current setup into the FMCloud, but then the one big caveat was found..
      "Supports custom app authentication via FileMaker user accounts only" AKA no External Authentication. But that is fine, I understand it was released for small businesses which need the scalability of AWS, but this DOES NOT work for my agency. I spent half a year moving away from filemaker user accounts, I can't go back; plus they have a Single Sign-on initiative that I'm trying to meet.

But I still need to get off of my old physical towers.So my next idea is that I want to spin up an EC2 in AWS and put filemaker server on it as an alternative, but I can't find any verbiage that details how that works(or if it works) in the way that I would like. Namely, I need my AWS server to talk to Active Directory, preferably by ADFS or SAML (lesser so).

So the question:
      Can I setup external Authentication to an Active Directory from a server being hosted on AWS that is housing FileMaker Server 15? If so, What should I make note of before diving into this?

Thanks for any help and clarification someone can provide.

~Levi
    • By dysong3
      Hello,
      Stange situation here.  After reinstalling FMS15 to resolve an issue, one of my FMPA clients on just one of my computers displays "connection failed" when trying connect to the available databases on the server when trying to connect with the local ip adresse.  All while several other computers have no problem doing the same.  The FMPA client that has the issue has no problem connect to available databases via an external ip address.  I have never seen this before and can't find any meaningful information on this by googling.  Would anyone have any idea what's going wrong here?  The error appears to be (51) on FMS.