Default Date Format

bcooney

This topic is 2669 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

So, here's something I've lived with forever and I'm finally asking for help!

Can you set a default date format? I'd like all my date fields to display as mm/dd/yy. However, I find that I must use the Inspector's Date Format to do so and I cannot see how to make that the default format.

Anyone?

What date format is it defaulting to?

Mine seem to default to my local settings - as I'm in Australia, I get dd/mm/yyyy when I just create a date field. For some fields where I use a slightly different format, I copy a field with the format I want and it's maintained.

I'm not talking about system formats in the File Options. I want to drag out a date field and have its default display format (as specified on the Inspector's Data Formatting to be dd/mm/yy. Without touching that it is "As Entered" and it displays as mm/dd/yyyy.

I'm not sure that is possible on a US based system - it does that for me, in that format, because I'm Australian and that's my system default.

I know I used to have to open files locally and clone them to change from US default to Australian default - the cloned file would pick up my local formats

Hi Barbara!

I feel your pain.  Data formatting is not handled by Styles.  What I do is have a developer layout where I store pre-defined fields such as dates, portals and other objects.  It is where I set up all my objects and can review my styles in one place.  I can also then increase the height of fields ( to allow for Windows display without cutting off text ) and I can set the date formatting, numbers etc.  I can then also set the width of the field for dates, along with drop-down calendar etc.  Then when I need a date field, I just copy/paste my date and re-point it to the correct field.

By keeping a sample of all objects, I can adhere to consistent 'styles' throughout.

This topic is 2669 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.