ryyno10

FileMaker Server 15 VM settings

5 posts in this topic

Any suggestions/limitations to hosting FMS 15 in a virtualized environment?  Currently, we host a 30-40 user, 10 gig FM db on a physical server, however, p to v is being suggested by others in our organization (They're also inclined to config pooled versus static resource settings which would seem to affect the manner FMS functions) 

Elaborating on specific VM configurations in a Windows environment would be greatly appreciated!

There is no difference in the resource specs for a VM vs. a physical server.  With one caveat: you have to make sure that the host machine is not constrained for resources by the other virtual instances that it runs.

Go by your current FMS stats.log numbers (you do have the 'usage statistics' log toggled in the FMS admin console hopefully, on the 'logging' tab).

What's is the 'pooled' vs. 'static' about?  How do they see this happening?  What would not be configured statically?

"Pooled" meaning that the FM server would use resources "as needed" (depending on server workload) versus a static configuration which would "lock-in" resources regardless of server workload. 

Is there a minimum assignment to the machine?  I don't think I would be happy with a pooled setup for a database server (of any kind).  

Processor cores are usually assigned on-demand, but RAM should definitely be statically (not dynamically) assigned.  Dyanmically assigned RAM is a bad idea no matter what you're running on a VM server.

- John

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By theusualsuspect
      I'm reaching the 125 database limit of filemaker server, so I need to deploy a second and was hoping I can do that on the same network and just change the default ports. But I must be missing something because I'm not able to bring up the admin console after installation. I think it has to do with a conflict on port 5003, but I'm not sure. (FYI the databases don't have to talk to each other - they are all silo'd) 
      My question is this - is there a way to run more than one filmmaker server deployment on the same network? If not, my only thought would be to create a virtual network with my router, but I don't want to go through the trouble if I don't have to. Any advice? Thanks in advance!
    • By rwoods
      Hello from the UK
      Does anyone have a good solution for automatically copying the FileMaker backup files to something like Google Drive on Mac OS X?
      FMS doesn't let you set the local Google Drive folder as the backup location as it doesn't have the correct permissions (I assume). I have purchased CarbonCopyCloner (shareware) for some customers which will do it, but does anyone have a great solution to copy those files using built-in or free tools?
      I suspect that there is a UNIX command that will do it, but I'm not very well versed in that.
      Any clues would be good!
      Merry Christmas everyone.
    • By dysong3
      Hi,

I just installed FMS 15 and have found that a couple of my databases won't open in FMS15 once they have been uploaded.  I have tried recovering them before uploading but all to no avail.  Would anyone have any ideas what might be going wrong here?
    • By scrumpto
      I'm unsure where exactly to post this so I'll try it here. If there's a better place please move this but it seems to be the correct category.
      I'm looking to setup hosting for a 15 member team who will be primarily accessing the database via WebDirect. However, I'd like to connect the solution to MySQL and open up parts of the database to 50 other users via Custom Web Publishing (php).
      I'd appreciate any feedback on hosting companies who can handle some or all of the following: licensing, WebDirect, Custom Web Publishing and ODBC. I looked into FileMaker Cloud but it doesn't seem to be able to handle CWP. Someone mentioned today that you can go with AWS apart from Cloud and I'd love to hear feedback on that as well. Anything you guys can share on good and less than desirable solutions would be most appreciated.
      Feel free to recommend your own company or PM me and tell me why I'll like working with you.
      Thanks!
    • By gczychi
      Hi all,
      trying to schedule my first system server script and I am getting an error: 
      Dec 2, 2016 9:35:00 AM Server Events Error 692 Schedule "fms backup to net vol" aborted; system script "fms_BackupScript.sh" returned non-zero status 12. Running mac OS Sierra
      FMS is running with its default user account (fmserver [I guess])
      The shell script file works fine when I double click it and has all execute privileges:

-rwxr-xr-x@  2 admin     staff     149 Dec  2 09:12 fms_BackupScript.sh Interesting, when I schedule this script with the admin username and password option, then I get an «Invalid account» error:
      Dec 2, 2016 9:54:00 AM Server Events Error 732 Schedule "fms backup to net vol" aborted; invalid account name or password.  
      I'm puzzled. Where's the problem?
      Thanks for any help!
      Gary