Aussie John

Backup script error and corrupt files

4 posts in this topic

Hello all. I am running the FMS 14 backup scripts to a custom folder on the same disk as the Filemaker install. There are a number of errors generated.

1. Schedule window Status says "permission denied" 
  2. Main Status window say "Schedule "Daily" aborted; the destination "filemac:/server HD/fmsbak/" is not writable."
  3. Folders ARE created the backup databases but some files are corrupted (although others not)
  4. The backup folders do not delete after the schedule number of backups.
  5. And only recently I can't change the folder path as nothing happens if I validate or save and to log out I have to revert.

Any help with this would be terrific. Thanks

You need to manually change the permissions on the custom folder before you can set it in the FMS admin console.  Owner has to be 'fmserver' of group 'fmsadmin' with read/write/delete privs.  You can do this from the Terminal with the chown/chmod commands.  Or you can use a free tool like BatchMod.

#3 and 4 I don't understand.  If the permissions are off then FMS can't backup there.  How do you determine that the files that are there are corrupt?

Hi Wim some of the backed up files won't open (file size in KB not MB)

Setting the permissions for the source and the destination fixed things - thanks

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By OPS
      I have a table called Employees. These are either Current, Freelance, or No Longer Employed.
      I want a list available to select current employees. I have a filed called Currentcalc which is a 1 if the employee status is current. All I want to do is to go to an unrelated table and be able to select current employees from a lost. I simply cannot get my head around how to filter lists. I have tried every possible combination of settings and cannot understand the logic of filtered lists.
      This should be so simple but I have now wasted an entire day to it. I cannot find a simple explanation on how this works, anywhere. Can anyone explain to me how drop down lists, based upon a calculation filed work?
    • By Greg Hains
      Good morning.
      My client has FMS14 running on a terminal server with about 8 clients using it at any one time from that terminal server. From the reports I am getting back, when they open the solution, they are getting a message that appears to show that the Network Sharing has been enabled. As I understand it, when the solution is hosted on FMS, then the Network Sharing (for peer to peer?) should be disabled, however, even after turning off Network Sharing, it appears to come back again. Why is this? How do I stop it please?
      The only problem it seems to be causing is the initial error message when the solution is opened. I access the file remotely (not through the TS) and I don't get that message - I'm also the only Mac client if that makes any difference.
      Any ideas would be appreciated. :-)
      Greg
    • By Hijack
      I have a couple of sequence scripts configured on our FM14 server (under Windows 2008 R2) and for some reason, the system level scripts after the internal FM scripts no longer launch under the identity I specify in the schedule config.  They always launch under System and that's causing access problems.  The server has been rebooted and I have tried brand new schedules for the tasks but nothing changes.  Anyone seen similar behavior and have a solution?
      Thanks
    • By Wayne Irvine
      I have a FileMaker layout with a portal to another table. The relationship shows all unassigned records (related < 1). On each portal row I have a button which runs a script. The idea is that when you press the button the a value from the main record is copied and pasted into a field in the portal row (and as a result the portal record becomes 'assigned' and is removed from the portal.
      I have the button running a script and pasting the value from the main record but it is pasting it in the first portal record, not the one whose button was clicked.

Is there a simple way of having the value pasted into the portal record where the button was clicked or do I have to store the record number (or something) and paste back to that record?

• By ernst
      I had to migrate a Mac OS Mini Server running Mavericks 10.9.5 and Filemaker Server 13 to Filemaker Server 14.0.4 on El Capitan 10.11.6 today.
      It turned out to be an unpleasant and tiring operation, so I wrote a little manual that hopefully can help and save time for other people running into this situation.
      Some steps my not be necessary, but the following list describes the road I took, stumbling from one problem to the next.
      Rest assured that I left out a lot of swearing and three letter words that were also part of the process ;-)
      Greetings Ernst

Backup your databases, stop and de-install any previous Filemaker Server version. 
      The Filemaker 13 de-installer is located in the Extra’s folder on the Filemaker Server 14 installation disk image.

Install El Capitan 10.11.6 + updates 

Do not install OS X server ( yet ) - see the notes at the end of this little manual.

Remove the Java version installed with Mac OS - in my case Java 8 update 111.
      Steps from the Oracle website:
      In the Terminal window Copy and Paste the commands below:
      sudo rm -fr /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin 
      sudo rm -fr /Library/PreferencePanes/JavaControlPanel.prefPane 
      sudo rm -fr ~/Library/Application\ Support/Java

Install the version required by the 14.0.4 Filemaker Installer: Java 8 update 60 before installing Filemaker.
      Installer is called: jre-8u60-macosx-x64.dmg

After creating an Oracle account and logging in it can be downloaded from:
      http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/
      - Scroll all the way down and click Java Archives
      - Click Java SE 8
      - Scroll down to Java SE Runtime Environment 8u60
      - Click Accept License Agreement
      - Download jre-8u60-macosx-x64.dmg

The Filemaker installer is supposed to install this Java version by itself, but in my case it appeared to contain the Java 8 update 31, causing a loop within the Filemaker installer, repeating the process of installing the wrong version.

Get Filemaker fms_14.0.4.412.dmg. 
      Use the full installer!
      In my case installing an earlier version and running the updater did not work - the updater to 14.0.4 hung during installation.
      Filemaker also advises this but unfortunately chose not to put the full installer on their website, so I had to Phone Filemaker support and supply the original sales contract number. After providing these details they mailed a link to the 14.0.4 full installer.

Install fms_14.0.4.412.dmg 
      Because I was planning a co-install with OS X Server App I used port 8080 and 8443 in stead of the standard 80 and 443 during the setup.
      Also I did not enable web publishing and ODBC/JDBC during installation because I desperately wanted to get the normal services working.
      Do not start Deployment when the installer finished but click Quit in the finishing dialog.

Next step is to stop the server process via the terminal, as per Filemaker’s instruction: type or paste sudo launchctl stop com.filemaker.fms in a terminal window, enter and administrator password when required.
      In my case I had to restart the Mac and do this last step again after a fresh restart, before the FileMaker Server 14.0.4b Software Patch wanted to run without complaining about the Server being running.

Run the FileMaker Server 14.0.4b Software Patch from http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15575
      Note that this installer will update your Java version to Java 8 update 66, in my case this went without any hiccups.
      Log in to the Admin console using the FMS 14 Admin Console.webloc shortcut placed on the Desktop by the installer.
      Alternatively point your browser to http://localhost:16001 and click Start Admin Console

About co-installing with OS X Server version 5.2
      I know the true purist warn against this; in this case the server is under a relatively light load, so performance does not seem to be an issue.
      Getting OS X Server to co-exist with FM Server proofed tricky though. 
      Initially I had OS X Server app installed before trying the last FileMaker Server 14.0.4b Software Patch which caused the installer to hang again. 
      So I had to command-drag to move the Server App from the Applications folder to the Desktop. After authenticating the Mac detects the removal and presumably stops and repatches all services involved.
      Then the FileMaker Server 14.0.4b Software Patch installed, after which I could put the OS X Server app back, re-login to server, re-enable the services, restart the Mac and finally login to the Filemaker Admin console.

Next time I would leave the OS X Server installation as last step; possibly this will be less work.