Copying content to new record without using duplicate

This topic is 2669 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello! My apologies if this is a newbie question. I've been tasked with fixing some issues with our FM database, which means I am trying to learn how to use it. I have not been able to find a solution yet and not sure which topic it would fall under.

Our database:

We are a vet clinic. Each appointment has its own record, but each client may have more than one appointment. If we duplicate the appointment to save time on data entry, mistakes are often made to update information for the new appointment. Is there a way to have the client's information (address, phone, etc) populate in a new record when we type in their name or some other identifying info? 

screen shot.png

Edited by Lee Smith
Removed Font Style of red.

Welcome to the Fourms,

I am not sure how you database is constructed with regards the relationships but yes there would be a way to script duplicating the parent record and then duplicating the child records (appointments) and replacing the primary key of the new duplicate - even clearing out fields that are not relevant to the new record.

It would all be done with scripts. 

44 minutes ago, msspan said:

Is there a way to have the client's information (address, phone, etc) populate in a new record when we type in their name or some other identifying info? 

It sounds like you have a structural issue. In most scenarios, the client's address is a property of the client and does not need to be replicated with each appointment. However, this does require a proper relational structure with separate tables for Clients and Appointments, related by ClientID.

An exception to the above would be a case where the appointments are held at the client's location. Then the client's current address would be held in the client's record In the Clients table and looked-up into the appointment record.

This topic is 2669 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.